eMac won't LOGIN

V

Vacuum

Yesterday, my eMac froze and a message came on thescreen in a bunch of languages saying to turn off my computer and restart it.

I did that but, now when i try to LOGIN i type in my password, it pretends to login and then it takes me right back to the login screen.

WHAT IS GOING ON? I NEED HELP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
can you log in under single user mode? or without extensions? try starting up holding down shift, if it works, get back to us, if not, try starting up holding s, it should boot into single user mode.

OP
V

Vacuum

OK I tried both.

Holding shift it loaded all the things with "Safe Boot" written under, once It got to the login screen it was the same thing, type in my password and it just goes back to the login screen.

holding S didn't make any change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its command s, but theres an fsck check you can do, I just dont remember what to type when the command line comes up. or try changing your password for login by starting up using the panther install disk 1 and selecting change password.

OP
V

Vacuum

My keyboard doesn't have a command key.

Also, i don't have panther or jaguar. Mac OSX 10.2.8, i think.

Whats an fschk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats jaguar, fsck is file system check, its a command line interface, command key is the apple key next to the space bar.

OP
V

Vacuum

ALL right, I did apple S on the restart.

Now I'm at some black screen with a bunch of codes with the last one

sh-2.05a#

I think it wants me to type something in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, its /sbin/fsck -fy, hit enter/return, after its done, type exit and hit enter

OP
V

Vacuum

i did all that, then it went to the login screen. after i entered my password the screen goes black for a second then it just takes me back to the login screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you try resetting the password the way I said a few posts back? or try repairing permissions using the mac os x install disk 1 disk utility? if fsck found nothing, try starting up holding command + v to start up in verbose mode? I think if you reset your password or are able to get your mac started up all the way once, youll need to delete the login window preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it can be the software restore disc that came with the mac, o, and that message you mentioned in the first post, is a kernel panic, theyre very rare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
for the moment, it would seem so. unless someone else has any ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
insert the disc, shut down the mac, start up holding c, thatll boot from the disc, I think you click on installer, then reset password or something like that, been a while since I seen a mac booted from jaguar install discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.