g4 startup troubles

D

dork

i only get a black screen when i start up my g4. the screen's on and the g4's running, but no image. what to do?

OP
D

dork

ok, by holding Option + Command + P + R at Start up i've zapped the PRAM, now i got my screen back, but i can't get into my OS...

WHAT TO DO?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
try booting from your OS X install CD. if you cant get your cd tray open, hold down your mouse button when starting up, then restart and hold down C.

under the Installer menu, choose Open Disk Utility, then under the First Aid tab, choose verify disk, then repair permissions.

quit Disk Utility, quit installer and it will restart

OP
D

dork

MacAddikt said:
try booting from your OS X install CD. if you cant get your cd tray open, hold down your mouse button when starting up, then restart and hold down C.

under the Installer menu, choose Open Disk Utility, then under the First Aid tab, choose verify disk, then repair permissions.

quit Disk Utility, quit installer and it will restart

thanks... i did everything you said... but now i get a grey screen with a flashing globe...

what to do what to do...

OP
D

dork

dork said:
thanks... i did everything you said... but now i get a grey screen with a flashing globe...

what to do what to do...

found it. i guess i just have to wait a little longer... let's hope it works...

thanks anyway guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
dork said:

what to do what to do...

flashing globe? never seen that. i've seen a flashing disk, which means it cant find the startup disk.

after looking through Apple Knowledge Base Support, it seems you have a network disk selected as the boot disk. let it run for several minutes, then it will try looking for your another start up disk (your hard drive).

after it boots up normally, go to:

Control Panels>>Start Up Disk

Choose your hard drive, then you should be set. you can restart to check it

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31355

OP
D

dork

now it's a flashing question mark / maclogo...

waiting waiting waiting...

i'm gonna take a shower now... i hope it's gonna be fixed by the time i get back...

OP
D

dork

dork said:
now it's a flashing question mark / maclogo...

waiting waiting waiting...

i'm gonna take a shower now... i hope it's gonna be fixed by the time i get back...

it's still a flashing question mark / maclogo...
i guess something's wrong...

can somebody help me?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
This means that it can not find a boot drive (operating system). Did you try to boot it from a CD like MacAddikt suggested?

Also what version of the OS are you using?

OP
D

dork

rman said:
This means that it can not find a boot drive (operating system). Did you try to boot it from a CD like MacAddikt suggested?

Also what version of the OS are you using?

i tried to boot it from a cd, i repaired and verified my drive and all that... but when i reboot, it's still the same.

i use os x and os 9, the last one i used was os 9.

i really don't know what to do, i checked the mac site but it doesn't help me very much. i know that i should select a startup drive, but how can i do that when i can't even get in my OS?

thanks for trying to help me out by the way!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next question: You said you repaired and verified your drive, which operating system were you in when you did this? Assuming you were booted from a bootable CD. Were you able to see any data on your system disk while the system in booting from the CD?

OP
D

dork

rman said:
Next question: You said you repaired and verified your drive, which operating system were you in when you did this? Assuming you were booted from a bootable CD. Were you able to see any data on your system disk while the system in booting from the CD?

OS X. wasn't able to see any data.
i used the mac OS X install disc.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgive me for asking so many questions. I had problem with my G3 some time ago. My only resolution was to wipe the disk clean and re-install the OS.

I am hoping you wouldn't have to do this. What application did you verify the disk with?

I am trying to see what you did so I can figure out what the next logical step is.

OP
D

dork

rman said:
Forgive me for asking so many questions. I had problem with my G3 some time ago. My only resolution was to wipe the disk clean and re-install the OS.

I am hoping you wouldn't have to do this. What application did you verify the disk with?

I am trying to see what you did so I can figure out what the next logical step is.
no man that's cool... i appreciate your help.
the application i used to verify the disk: i just followed macaddikt's instructions... with the mac osx boot cd.... (under the Installer menu, choose Open Disk Utility, then under the First Aid tab, choose verify disk, then repair permissions.
)

maybe you should know this too:
i tried to change the startup drive by starting up the norton antivirus cd, and then mac os 9 was started, but i can't change anything in it... can't even select another startup drive, only that network thing and the norton antivirus cd...

excuse me for my bad english by the way... my mother language is dutch and i only know english from movies and music ;)...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The disk utility application can access the disk. You were able to fix the disk permissions. It sounds like one of the start up files maybe corrupted. You do have a backup of your system, at least the data (personal files)? Gatorparrot would most likely be more helpful in this area. I will look to see what i can find.

OP
D

dork

i don't have a backup.

the g4 crashed while i was editing a movie in adobe premiere (i was running OS9). i turned the mac off and back on and then i got this black screen. after zapping the pram, i got this flashing globe, and after that i got the flashing question mark / maclogo.

oh yeah... i also did the apple hardware test... and it said there were no problems... i think i just need to be able to select a startup drive... but how?

i tried all the stuff you guys told me, but nothing seems to work. i really hope this problem can be fixed because i don't have any backups...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Can't you do an Archive and Install and it will try to preserve all of your data?

I thought that this is how it worked. You would need someone else to confirm this though, as I haven't had to deal with this type of issue yet.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot about a preservation/archive install. Like Emrys said, re-installing using that method should resolve your problem. All of your personal data should still be intact.

OP
D

dork

rman said:
I forgot about a preservation/archive install. Like Emrys said, re-installing using that method should resolve your problem. All of your personal data should still be intact.

brought it to the shop... they said it didn't recognize any disks or OS... dunno, i can get it back friday, i'll keep you guys up to date ;)! thanks for helping me out!

greetings from belgium!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.