Connecting a PC to Airport Network

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 500GB Time Capsule and I am using it as my Wifi as well. It works perfectly with my MacBook Pro and after some work, I got it to work with my HP printer to print wirelessly as well.

My problem is that we also have a PC that needs to share this internet connection (wirelessly). The PC is running Windows XP.

The PC can see the network and shows full signal strength, but it cannot seem to acquire an IP address (it says, "Acquiring IP Address" on the wireless networks window but never says anything else or actually connects).

Here are my settings on the Mac Airport (Internet Settings):
Connect Using: Ethernet
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
(then it lists all my IP information)
Connection Sharing: Share a public IP address

I am not sure, but my hunch is that one of these settings is wrong somehow. I am not an expert on wireless networking at all, so I don't even know what half those settings mean.

Any ideas on why my XP machine can't connect and how to fix it?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Run the setup disk that came with your Time Capsule in your XP machine. It will walk you through the setup.

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, now a new question. One of the PC's that use my network is out in a guest house behind our main house. The tenant can connect (now) when she is in our house but once she goes back into her place the signal drops and she can no longer see the network.

Would an Airport Express base station work to extend the signal somehow? How can I get her a strong signal wirelessly?

Relevant Info:

The Time Capsule is in our home office, which is about 25 feet from her guest house - with walls, insulation, etc in between.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Yes, an Airport Express can be configured to run in bridge mode to extend the network to the guest house, assuming it can pick up the signal. If it doesn't, the other option os to hard wire the time capsule to the airport express (if it isn't too much of a hassle).

Victor (typicalmacuser.com) did a great podcast on wireless networking and airports. I recommend downloading the mp3 and giving it a listen. It was really informative.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks - I actually found a Netgear range extender I hadn't been using - plugged it in and it seems to be working okay. We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.