All browsers crashing, even after fresh install 10.5

Reaction score
Hi,

I was having problems with all browsers crashing, first it was Safari, then Firefox 2. I even tried internet explorer (!) and it still crashed.

I did a fresh install of leopard, and then installed firefox 3. No problems whatsoever.

About one month later, however, I'm having constant crashes on Firefox 3 after about 2 minutes of use. I'm also having occasional crashes on Safari, but they are much more infrequent (about every 1/2 hour). I have tried disabling Java and Flash on Firefox 3, to no avail.

Not sure if it's related, but this Macbook doesn't want to install the new '10.5.4 Mac OS X Update Combined'. It restarts, and then says that it can't be installed.

Thanks for any help, I'm really stuck on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
George,

Download Mainmenu here: http://www.santasw.com/ and run all of the maintenance and permission scripts. See if that helps you. I run the Batch Execute every day or two and it keeps your OS X and hard drive healthy.

Maybe it will help your browser stability as well...

There is another tool called Onyx that is similar. You might try it also, see which one you like better.

Good luck, Noel

OP
G
Reaction score
seems to have done the trick, no crashing for 15 minutes.

Though I wouldn't want to speak to soon, I'll come back to this forum should I have any more problems.

I appreciate it, Noels :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad I could help you out...

OP
G
Reaction score
It seems like that didnt solve my problem. Again, I'm having crashes of firefox every two minutes, and more infrequent crashes of safari!

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are they sites you have previously visited with no problems

are you getting any crashes in other software at all?

Have you given disk utility a try to make sure the disk is healthy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any possibility that could be caused by a poor incoming signal from your ISP? You might call them and ask for a network audit to your home. Have you had any electrical problems in your house that could cause momentary signal loss and browser crash?

Have you installed any new apps before this behavior started? Perhaps going back and locating those apps - maybe something associated with your browsers... e-mail, chat, calendars, etc. If so, maybe uninstall one at a time, see if the behavior changes...

Just searching for something here....

OP
G
Reaction score
It isn't my ISP because I have the same problems at both houses I use this computer at.

I've 'verified' my disk using the disk utility, and it said that there were no problems. I hope I did this right, I've never used that utility before.

I'm also having constant crashes in MSN and Mercury. It seems they're all internet related.

I'm confused! Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
George,

Could be your Airport card. Call Apple and tell them about your problem, they may want to change it for you...

Or a nearby Apple Store.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.