Issues burning DVD+R DL.

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been having some trouble trying to burn an image onto a dual layer disc. I've got the Santa Rosa 2.4ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB of RAM.

I've tried both Verbatim and Sony media, no luck. I'm using Disk Utility, and the burn fails almost immediately after starting it. It gives me an error about the laser calibration for the drive. I tried the Sony disc on my grandma's iMac and it burned successfully (although verification failed). It certainly got a lot farther than mine.

I've also tried a clean install of Leopard as well as blowing out the drive with compressed air. Do you think it would be necessary for me to contact Apple at this point?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you go to system profiler and disc burning does it show the following?

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

OP
W
Reaction score
Yeah, I fogot to mention that I checked that as well. Says my discs are compatible. The drive has no problem reading discs or writing cd-r/dvd.

I don't really understand it. Are these dual layer drives sort've hit or miss or something?

Oh and I'd also like to mention that I've tried two different images as well, just to make sure it didn't have something to do with that .iso file. Just doesn't wanna burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I use Fuji DL discs and never had a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
wezman2k,

Verbatim and Sony disks should work, nothing wrong with those brands. I think I'd contact Apple or take it to an Apple store and see what they have to say. Lots of folks are having burner problems...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.