Seagate External Drive broke!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
I have a SeaGate FreeAgent Pro 750 GB external hard drive. It was connected to my MacBook when it somehow got tangled and fell off my desk onto the carpeted and padded floor. Ever since, when it spins it makes this horrendous noise and the computer won't detect it.

It is under warrenty, and I can get it replaced, but is there anything I can do to get the data back? I called the SeaGate data recovery service, and they said it would cost anywhere from $700 to $2200. I am not willing to spend anywhere near that price.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
you know thats a bad article. Let me find a decent one.

Scratch that. All I've read were things about Windows..

I also read that if the drive is broken, (like making noises) then you have no option but to take it to a recovery service.

Sorry about that :/

I'll keep Googling, and if I find anything I'll edit this post. But for now, that's my answer.

OP
seanje
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
i was worried that would be my only choice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I'm finding lots of software that allows you to recover data from a broken HD, but I don't know if it would work on external HDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.