iMac G5 USB Keyboard/Mouse won't work

Reaction score
My iMac G5 keyboard suddenly stopped working. We have a kitten and thought she had chewed the cord and that is what caused the problem, but after buying a new keyboard, it still won't work. We've also tried plugging in the mouse directly into the usb port and the mouse just blinks. No other usb devices work, but I'm not sure if that is due to the computer trying to find a mouse or if all the ports are messed up. Could this be a power problem with the usb ports or a battery problem? Any suggestions would be great. This machine is only 2 1/2 years old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
We've also tried plugging in the mouse directly into the usb port and the mouse just blinks. No other usb devices work... or if all the ports are messed up. Could this be a power problem with the usb ports or a battery problem?

If nothing at all is working via the USB ports, then the ports are the problem I would suggest. Try plugging in a flash drive for example, and then go to System Profiler > USB to see if anything is recognised. If not, then the System cannot recognise the USB ports. If that is the case, then it's probably a motherboard repair situation. It may be something as simple as a dry or faulty solder joint.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.