iPhoto Events Alternative

Reaction score
hey all,

Back in windows, I used picasa to organize my photos. On my HD I have folders in which photos reside (ie. Grad in a grad folder, HK trip in HK trip folder etc). Im not quite jiving with the "events" view. Is there any way to view your photos by folder?

any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
May be you can create different albums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You are better off taking the time, if you are going to be using iPhoto, to work with it without using folders. If you move things around in the folders outside of iPhoto, iPhoto will loose it's connection to the photos and you will have to reimport everything you move or modify. It has taken me a LONG time to start to get used to the iPhoto way of things but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Don't do any arranging in the library in finder. You will corrupt your database and iPhoto will not be able to find your photos.

The way to manage, is, within the app, create folders -- for example "Vacations". Then create albums, for instance, "Hawaii 2007", "San Francisco 2008" etc. Then drag those albums (on the left pane) into the Vacation folder. Then, in the San Francisco vacation event, drag the photos into the appropriate album. Or, create keywords for "San Francisco" and instead of creating a simple album, create a "Smart Album" and your photos will automatically be in the correct album. Note that the photos in the albums are simply aliases to the photos in the library, not actual photos. So no duplication happening.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.