Is Airport Required for using a Macbook with Wifi

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I'm considering on buying a macbook but a video on apple.com says a Airport is needed to connect to Wifi
Does that really mean you can't just directly connect to the router but you will actually have to purchase a $169 Aiport
If that is true I'm definitely not getting a macbook because that would be such a rippoff if it gives just the same result as without an Airport

Also is it possible to like rent a macbook for a week because I never used mac before and I'm not 100% sure if it really is something for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You must have misunderstood the video, though I'd like to see which one you're talking about. The MackBook Pro which I bought 2 weeks ago has built in wifi, and I'm sure that they all have built in wifi receivers. I did purchase an airport express (which was not $169, that's likely the airport extreme) for the fact that I have a good connection at home and would like to utilize it.

However, I have yet to hook it up (I'm lazy) because I was waiting for a surge protector/suppressor to arrive in the mail, and I also wanted to learn more about WPA 2. I've been leeching my neighbors WiFi since I bought it, and it works wonderfully. Of course Apple isn't going to say: "No router or WiFi connection ? No ProoOOOoblem, just steal your neighbors !"

Doug

Reaction score
MacBook (Pros) come standard with a wifi card and ethernet port that will connect to any wireless or wired router.

OP
H

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
What a relieve I thought if Airport is required I can't connect to Wifi anywhere so not on vacation either
Here is the video:
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#tutorial=wirelessbasics

It says
"For wifi network in your home you need an airport base station"
But A wifi network already is done by a standard router
So I thought he is talking you need a airport to make a working network for mac including internetting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yeah, that video is misleading if you don't know anything about wireless technology. I wonder how many people after seeing that, went out and spent their hard earned cash because they thought they needed some proprietary Apple ware(s). While we're at it, let me save you from another evil doing.. stay away from Bose ! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.