Weird time and date changes

Reaction score
Hi guys

Every single time I plug my iPod Touch to my Vista PC, after I take it out, the date and time changes!

This has gotten worse... at first, on the very first times I plugged it in, it made the Time Zone change, from Lima, Peru to Indianapolis! That was weird, considering that I've checked EVERYWHERE in my computer and EVERYTHING is set to Lima's time zone. During the last few weeks, now it's even worse because not only does the time zone change to Indianapolis, but now the date and the time change as well, like, going back to January 2004 or September 2010... and the time goes crazy as well, like 10 hours ahead or before.

Is this common to anybody?

Reaction score
do do do do.......do do do do...........the Twilight Zone!!! That IS weird!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Not at my side. Maybe there's a bug with your settings . Or its just vista. ( just screwing around. ) xD

OP
L
Reaction score
The worst part is that I live in Peru and there is no Apple support around here, we got a couple retailers but not an actual Apple Store, and given the fact that I can't e-mail Apple... (can I? I haven't seen an email address) I'm pretty much screwed...

Reaction score
Hi guys

Every single time I plug my iPod Touch to my Vista PC, after I take it out, the date and time changes!

This has gotten worse... at first, on the very first times I plugged it in, it made the Time Zone change, from Lima, Peru to Indianapolis! That was weird, considering that I've checked EVERYWHERE in my computer and EVERYTHING is set to Lima's time zone. During the last few weeks, now it's even worse because not only does the time zone change to Indianapolis, but now the date and the time change as well, like, going back to January 2004 or September 2010... and the time goes crazy as well, like 10 hours ahead or before.

Is this common to anybody?

YES! It started happening to me recently and continued after updating to 2.2
Running Windows XP. This my first stop in finding a cure.

Reaction score
ive had this same problem and i went to settings>general>date &time>set date and time and then you set it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
Indianapolis FTW!!!

But the problem is probably a software bug, is your iPod a first or second generation? It's likely the model, software update and Windows combined to create a perfect storm on a select few iPod Touches.

Reaction score
Ever since the 2.2.1 patch, my clock + date got messed up! I had to manually change them.
I haven't synced my iPod Touch after I installed the update, I will have to see what happens...

Reaction score
Solution

Here is what was on an Apple forum :Angry-Tongue: :

1. Close itunes, reopen itunes, THEN connect ipod to sync

Time/date wildcard seems to occur if your computer sleeps, hibernates, or stands by while itunes is open and THEN connected to ipod touch. Also, if computer sleeps, hibernates, or stands by WHILE your ipod touch is connected upon wake the time/date may also go nuts.
Finally, if you undock (maybe even connect disconnect other USB entities), open many CPU intensive programs, or use apps that make your computer "cranky" while itunes is open you may have to:

2. Restart computer, open itunes, THEN connect ipod to sync.

If time is off by one hour exactly or some other measure that doesn't seem completely arbitrary, check your computer time and time zone as well as the time zone you've chosen for your ipod touch then resync with a freshly opened itunes. Otherwise:

3. Try the 5 R's (Recharge, Restart, Reset, Remove, Restore)

Please update/crosslink this thread as better understanding of this 'feature' comes available. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.