• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This is the iMac's rival?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
Wow...that is supposed to rival the imac. Im not impressed with the design at all. The imac definately wins...hands down. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I find it more interesting that it's an ASUS product than the design.. which, I admit is really uninspiring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Actually, Dell is trying it, and I saw this a few months ago -

dell-xps-one.jpg

linky

Me, I will stay will my Apple thank you. ;) after all, it would still use Vindoz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
It's like all the iPhone clones that were released, when will they learn that there's more to it than simply copying the pretty design? Any iphone clone I've used just didn't wow me at all, as there was no comparison with the iphone's UI. With no OS X on the above machines I don't see what the fuss is all about, it's just a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
^^ just because a phone is touch screen doesn't make it a clone. I believe it was the LG Prada that preempted the iPhone to be the first phone with the almost completely touch screen face.

There are a number of all-in-one computers on the market: Dell, Sony, Gateway and HP. This one will definitely be a contender with its low price point. I've never used Linux, but it seems to be becoming pretty user-friendly. I'd bet people could load Win XP if they don't want to use Linux.

I like the iMac, but I just wish Apple would get rid of the "chin" on it. Of all of the AIOs, I think the Dell looks the best and has the best feature set. If only it had OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
My point wasn't that Apple "invented" the touch screen phone, but that they provoked a lot of competition. Sadly the competition wasn't up to much and seemed as though a lot of them were simply rushed out so they could compete.
I don't mean to sound all "I love Apple, PC's are crap" (I use both) but the iPhone genuinely impressed me and I think with Macs the OS is the main selling point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It's like all the iPhone clones that were released, when will they learn that there's more to it than simply copying the pretty design? Any iphone clone I've used just didn't wow me at all, as there was no comparison with the iphone's UI. With no OS X on the above machines I don't see what the fuss is all about, it's just a PC.

Hate to disagree with you here, but I do. I've been using Linux for about 3 years now, which in turn has freed me from Windows and I've never been happier. My wife and I just bought a MB Pro, and yet I'm in the process of building a new Linux box (just waiting for CPU) for the simple fact that it's a no muss, no fuss system that does what I need and want it to do, and responds even faster to my needs than OSX does (from what I've found).

Yes, OSX is pretty, it's shiny and it has some fantastic applications which if they existed in the realm of the Linux world, I'd have no desire to get a Mac (Aperture 2, Logic/Garage Band and other similar apps). However, I find that those things I need to get done (in comparison on both platforms) I do so faster, with Linux. And I'm not talking about using command line either. All GUI.

I have also found that if I wanted to, I can get Ubuntu to look better than (perhaps not as polished looking though) any iteration of a Mac OS, but I'm not into that sort of thing so it's moot. I'll be using the new Linux box for all of my CD/DVD burning, lite photo stuff, and basic things like office applications and even multimedia playback. I can basically do anything on it with the exception of professional audio and photo editing (though I'm sure some Linux zealots would even argue that it can be done, I just don't feel it though) and it requires hardly any hardware beef in order to run smoothly.

As for the mini laptops and such, HP is also in the market, and they'll be releasing theirs soon too. Some of these will be using standard laptop HD's up to 20 and 30 gigs as well as 2 gigs of RAM. I really think that these are a great alternative to carrying around a big ol' notebook, and for those who don't have "Apple Money" to spend, a relief that they can get a lot of functionality in an extremely portable package. You'd be surprised at the numbers of people who are attracted to this market. And I'm not just talking Linux people.

Doug

Edit: I realize that I'm talking laptops and the article concerns a desktop, but it's essentially the same stuff outside of the slight hardware differences. Same principles apply

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use Macs for OSX. A Mac is the only legal way to run OSX. If a machine does not run OSX, it will never satisfy me. I like Linux but it does not have the applications I need for one thing. I could say more but really don't want to make a flame war.

The only way anything will compete with the iMac is if it legally runs Mac OSX.

If you take away the form factor, the iMac is basically an Intel PC. It's the OS it runs that sets it apart for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You wouldn't get a war out of me... O:) ;D I acknowledged that OSX has some excellent applications which aren't likely to show up on any Linux distro in the near future. It's possible though of course, but not likely due to the nature of business.

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You wouldn't get a war out of me... O:) ;D I acknowledged that OSX has some excellent applications which aren't likely to show up on any Linux distro in the near future. It's possible though of course, but not likely due to the nature of business.

Doug

Doug, it not you.

There are many that come when a thread like this is posted and start attacking OSX and the Macs, so I was just being careful. Want to keep it peaceful here!

:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.