Ibook G3 128mb ram

A

asquithian

im considering buying a G3 ibook for university...is 128mb of ram on a G3 700 enough to run cable internet apple works and maybe microsoft office...im not doin anything else major on it...

main question is whether 128mb is enough...(main reason why im considering an ibook is becasue of its size...and battery life...)

and wondering how compatable is apple works with ms word?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The G3 is fine for what you're doing. I would MAX out the RAM though. Go with 640 MB, you really won't be sorry!

OP
A

asquithian

schweb said:
The G3 is fine for what you're doing. I would MAX out the RAM though. Go with 640 MB, you really won't be sorry!
well I'm a uni student and well dollars are important...

more ram = more money that i have to spend

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You won't regret spending the money. You can get the additional memory from a third party (i.e. crucial , memory to go (outdated link removed) ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well as rman said, the RAM is definitely worth it. You can find it pretty cheap online. My suggestion is to buy as much memory as your can afford and maybe add more later.

OP
N

nko

A lot of people tend to suggest just spending the extra money. I'm a uni student, too (well, went back to a CC, but still expensive, especially since I have a baby boy on the way). For us, there's no such thing as a couple hundred dollars being worth it; it's all just out of the question. If I can save up $1500 after bills for school, I can afford to live and also afford a $1000 iBook (not that I'm in the market). No, not the $1100 iBook with more RAM, just the default $999 one. After that, my shopping list is diapers, ramen, TP and milk for the next paycheck. After that, I'm fine. Extra RAM? Doesn't fit. Budget's absolutely too small.

This is just me, though, and I'm not in the market, and wont be for a long time :)

Him, though, he doesn't likely have a baby to worry about, so money's only more flexible to the point where buying the iBook wouldn't make him feel a world of guilt, but just a little hunger for not-cheap food for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
If that's the case I would look into Apple's refurbished products plus look at http://www.dealmac.com it's a great site for great prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.