• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

EyeTv and HD

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got paid and I am trying to buy an eyeTv product for my iMac I wanted to watch cable from the dorm so all I have is a coaxial cable for imput, does the eyetv 250 plus have an attachment for that? I can't seem to see a connector on it. I like that it has the software included. But if it does not have the connector would the hybrid be my only choice? How does it compare to the hybrid for those who know? Also I want to buy an external HD. I'm looking at WD My book studio edition 1TB. Its cheaper on amazon.com would you recommend buying it from there or another source?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The 250 Plus specs say "Antenna input: Coaxial connector (IEC)". That connector allows you connect cable or an antenna with the appropriate connector.

You can't see the connector because the buggers didn't place a picture of the back of the unit on the image gallery page.

Before you buy that drive, look for reviews and complaints about it.

For others in the States thinking of buying Elgato tuners, check out Elgato's digital transition page.

Reaction score
I am using a 250 Plus at the moment. I just looked at it and it has coax input. I don't use that feature, but the directions show it can be used that way. Check out the Quick Start Guide. The documentation can all be found here.

I actually really like the software it came with, EyeTV 3. I have it set up in the corner of my screen, set to always on top, and all the menus disabled so it is bascially just a window showing TV. I've not used it for anything but watching TV, but it does include PVR features.

I sound like a shill for Elgato, but honestly the product does everything I wanted it to so I am very happy with it. O:)

I bought both the 250 Plus and a My Book Studio II from Amazon. Probably not the cheapest, but I have Amazon Prime (free 2-day shipping) and no tax so it worked out best for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
The hybrid doesn't have an internal MPEG encoder, the 250 does.

I use the 250 for both Cable and my PS2, works perfectly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I have the eyeTV 250 Plus and my comcast cable is currently the direct source (no STB) and it includes some HD channels (locals) as well as digital signals. It drew my attention because this model does have a digital tuner as well as analog so it won't be too worthless next year, although if you have a dedicated cable box source it should be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.