Ipod touch compared to 1st gen. nano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
Hey everyone, i just joined the forums in part because i am looking to buy a MacBook or MacBook pro and maybe the ipod touch. Now i currently have a 1st gen. nano...so i was thinkin ipod touch as an upgrade. Now i was wondering everyones opinions on their ipod touch. I realize it will be a huge upgrade from my current ipod...in basically every aspect. I was wondering how tough the screen is does it scratch easily?, and facts like that. And what u would rate it between 1 and 10...10 of course being the best. Thanks :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
It depends on what you're doing. Using the touch screen won't scratch it, but maybe after taking it in and out of your pocket over time would be when you notice thin subtle lines all over the screen. I would suggest a cover or case, one that covers the screen, but still enables you to use the touch features.

I am also considering a Touch, but only because my current iPod's battery wont last 2 days anymore. I would rate it at about 9. It has Wi-Fi, but that would drain your battery with extended use.

Good luck on your purchase :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz white macbook, 8GB iPod touch
I have both the 1st gen nano and the iPod Touch.

The Touch is definitely an upgrade: you get a GIANT screen, Wi-Fi, and other useful stuff like web applications. Like if you want to check the weather before you go out in the morning, you never have to turn on your tv or computer. And with the new firmware 2.0 coming out, you'll get even more with the Touch. (I could go on and on about the benefits. =P)

I assume the screen for the Touch is no different from the nano screen. I've never removed the screen protector that came with the Touch and it's protected my screen ever since. I know some people get annoyed with the screen over the button at the bottom, but you can lift the edge up and cut off the bottom. =) But I do suggest you buy a case for the Touch since the back is chrome and we all know how easily that scratches. Being only 8mm thick, a case wouldn't make it too bulky anyways. I have this case and I really like the cover. It comes in different colors too. If you don't like covers then I recommend this one, and it comes with a free screen protector with the button hole already cut out. =)

Although, the Touch isn't for everyone. If all you care about is music, why not go for the current gen nano? You get a little bit of video if you ever need it too. For me, when I'm on campus I don't want to carry a laptop but I do some emails and web browsing, so I chose the Touch. Size isn't much of an issue for me 'cause I'm a girl and I can just put it in my purse.

Anyways I would rate it 9.5/10. -0.5 for sometimes I get frustrated over the touch screen. Like in the winter when my fingers get cold it's a bit annoying 'cause the touch screen is by heat.

Happy shopping!

OP
Bman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
Thank you to both of you, your answers are greatly appreciated and i do agree that music is very important but i wouldnt mind having the capability of checking email and browsing the email away from my computer...it seems it will come in handy very often. I also am having a hard time resisting the fact that its a touch screen...just another reason I am willing to put in the extra money instead of getting the current nano. Again, thanks for answers :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.