Incase Hardshell?

OP
H
Reaction score
So I was doing some research and came across these pictures that someone took of a white macbook in a black incase hardshell:

Not the best pictures, but the definitely make the case look purple.

Is this what you guys are used to seeing daily or is this an extreme lighting case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
probably, that right there, is by far the most extreme you will see.

and i dont even think it looks bad :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook w/ 2.16GHz Duo & 2GB RAM
I have the speck hardshell and it was the best thing I bought for my macbook. I don't know anything about the incase, but I imagine the effect is mostly the same. I have never been crazy about the look of my case, but the protection it serves is well worth the money. For what it's worth, I have a blackbook with the clear speck case.

Regardless of which you buy, I take mine off about once every few months and clean everything up. The case has plenty of scratches all over it, but the macbook still looks brand new.

Again, this is not a call for speck products, but a huge thumbs up for hard cases. My macbook would look like the devil if I didn't have a case... and I'm not really very hard on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
So I was doing some research and came across these pictures that someone took of a white macbook in a black incase hardshell:

Not the best pictures, but the definitely make the case look purple.

Is this what you guys are used to seeing daily or is this an extreme lighting case?

that's as purple as it gets, haha. i think that may have been because of the flash though? mine looks more black/dark purple in regular light.

OP
H
Reaction score
So after searching for more pictures, I came to the realization that the apple store had pictures of all of the cases on a white macbook. While they are not necessarily "true-to-life" pictures, they are better than nothing. Here are the pictures of the black and white cases for comparison.

Considering these pictures, I'm torn between the two cases. Now obviously the black doesn't show any hints of purple in this lighting, so I kind of like the contrast between the outer appearance and the white inside. However, at the same time, the white case seems to really keep the macbooks clean appearance and I really like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
Considering these pictures, I'm torn between the two cases. Now obviously the black doesn't show any hints of purple in this lighting, so I kind of like the contrast between the outer appearance and the white inside. However, at the same time, the white case seems to really keep the macbooks clean appearance and I really like that.

My brother had the black InCase and it did look "purple-ish". It didn't look bad, but I prefer the frost model by far. It's a matter of personal taste.

Reaction score
It does limit the opening angle of the notebook. Not a big deal for me, the angle is still perfect with the InCase shell on. However, some notebook users might be bothered. If you have an Apple Store near you, buy the InCase and see for yourself if the angle limitations will bother you. If it does, just return the product!

This case does limit the hinge. You can only open it up about 90 degree. I had to do a little modification of my own with a dremel to make it open all the way. Now the case is perfect.

OP
H
Reaction score
My brother had the black InCase and it did look "purple-ish". It didn't look bad, but I prefer the frost model by far. It's a matter of personal taste.

I think I'm beginning to lean towards the frost myself now.

This case does limit the hinge. You can only open it up about 90 degree. I had to do a little modification of my own with a dremel to make it open all the way. Now the case is perfect.

I keep hearing mixed things about this. Everyone says it limits the hinge, but some say that the limitation is minuscule and you can open it almost all the way, while others like you say you can only open it up to 90 degrees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
the limitation is fairly minor however it is noticable.

90 degrees is a pretty big exaggeration. I dont have a protractor laying around....lol but honestly id say its more around 110 degrees possibly even more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
what do you all think about the Speck hard shell cases, i wanted to get the black one on my MBP with this zCover keyboard cover and the Moshi palmguard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
what do you all think about the Speck hard shell cases, i wanted to get the black one on my MBP with this zCover keyboard cover and the Moshi palmguard

I had the Speck cover and didn't like it that much. It makes the MBP look cheap (personal opinion, some might prefer the Speck compared to the InCase).

Side note, I highly recommend the Moshi palmguard, great product.

I'm not a big fan of keyboard covers, the MBP takes its air from the keyboard.

OP
H
Reaction score
Taken from another forum

JunBug119 said:
...here are the pics. the lighting in my room isn't that great so i had to set the flash on.

with the macbook turned off you can barely see the apple logo through the frosted cover
017.jpg

back side
018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

cover without the flash set on my camera
025.jpg

I really think I want the white now instead of the black hardshell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I've had a MacBookPro for about five weeks. Today I received the InCase hardshell that I ordered from the on-line Apple Store. I got the "frost" version.
It went on easy, looks and feels great - but I too am troubled by the fact the screen cannot be opened past vertical (90 degrees) with the cover on. I will keep the cover but it will likely be put on for certain trips away from home but taken off when using my MBP at home. I do not find it very difficult to remove the case. I think the frost model looks very nice on the aluminum MBP case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD
Ok some people think that a black Incase Hardshell makes a white macbook take on a purplish tinge... I am wondering, does the black Incase Hardshell on a black Macbook give the apple logo a purplish tinge when it lights up??

Reaction score
I liked it until I tried taking the case off...

Hello...
Does anyone know how to take the top part of the incase hardshell off? The bottom part was easy, but I cannot take the top part off. I want to take my macbook in for service, but I'm afraid they will think it has to do the the case, so I'm trying to remove it.

I did notice a few minor scratches which was unavoidable. I figured that if I didn't have the case, I would have more scratched anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to remove the top part.

Reaction score
I finally removed the incase hardshell off my macbook after trying for an hour. I tried my best to avoid as many scratches as possible so this is what I did, and it will either help you or not make sense.

1. Start with the bottom portion first. Start on the side where the power cord plugs in (left). It's really easy to pull out the tabs because the fit is not as tight on that side. Slowly pull it off. Than repeat on the other side, and it easily pops off.
2. Turn your computer to the side, and with both thumbnails, push the tab off. For some reason it is easiest when you start with the tab on the bottom (closest to where both parts of the macbook come togehter_. Than do the same on the opposite side.
3. Now, work on the tabs on towards the top of the screen. Do this by pushing the case upward really slowly and steadily, and it should pop off. You don't really need to pop the tabs towards the top. I will warn you now the the area where the tab is will get a little nicked, but you will really have to look for it.

Hope this helps...it was the only way to get the thing off. :/

Reaction score
incase hardshell vs speck seethru satin

Hello i just buy a macbook and im trying to figure out the best way to protect it.

Can some one recommend me whats better if the (speck seeThru satin) or the (incase hardshell).

Here are some videos
YouTube - (*) Speck SeeThru Satin soft-touch hard shell case! (speck see thru satin)
YouTube - Review of Incase Hardshell Case on MacBook Pro (incase hardshell)

Also do you know if the incase hardshell can fit inside the incase sleeve?

Thank you for everything and i hope to share my experience soon in this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd
I have the InCase hardshell and sleeve (And Bass Guitar Bag for that matter)

And the products all work together great. It's definitely a snug fit, but it does fit in the sleeve with the case on.

However after having the case on for the last 9 months, when my hard drive recently crashed, and I took the case off when getting into it, I realized just how great the book looks on it's own! So my MacBook's been running naked for a couple of weeks ;-)

Reaction score
This is what I think about the Incase hard MacBook Pro Case - DO NOT BUY!

I am thinking of buying this, too. I have two questions about it:

1. How far can you open the lid with the InCase shell?

2. How is the venting on it?

*****THIS CASE IS AWFUL!!!**** DO NOT BUY!!!
This case broke my wife's powerbook pro! It won't open past 90 degrees and all it takes is one time pushing it open further it can EASILY break your mac!

This happened to her mac and our cousin's MacBook Pro also. I initially thought it was just the way my wife may have handled her computer, but when we found out my wife's cousin had exactly the same problem with exactly the same case I knew it was a case issue the manufacturer should be held responsible for. It pulled apart the back of the mac, broke the surrounding bezel of the screen, and the web cam doesn't work anymore. The case they both have is the hard case and has no give. It doesn't provide proper clearance for opening the mac to a viewable level when on a average desk height for an average height user. It also is a problem if you try to take the case off and don't exercise extreme caution in it's removal. Now we both have broken computers and the case bought to we bought to protect our laptops has successfully broken our laptops. We are both going to the Apple Store today to see what we can have done about this problem and make sure they know this case is a problem. At the time this case was bought I do not think a soft case was available from the manufacturer. I also thought the case was a good one because it seemed backed by Apple because it was and is for sale in their store. DON"T BUY THE HARD VERSION OF THIS CASE!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.