SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO

Reaction score
:mad: HELP!!!!! I got two viruses while suring the web with my brand new powerbook g4 1.33ghz. Then Norton Anti Virus autmoaticly detected it and it quarntined it. SO then I deleted both of them. Was that smart? I also thought mac didnt get viruses should I contact apple tomarrow and tell them to do someting am i overreacting.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sexyboy said:
:mad: HELP!!!!! I got two viruses while suring the web with my brand new powerbook g4 1.33ghz. Then Norton Anti Virus autmoaticly detected it and it quarntined it. SO then I deleted both of them. Was that smart? I also thought mac didnt get viruses should I contact apple tomarrow and tell them to do someting am i overreacting.
I figured it out i visited the same website agian after I updated to a new security patch and everytihn is fine. DO u think i should still kepp norton antivirus on autoprotwct cause it kind of slows my computer down just a bit :cool:

D

Danster

did you get a pop-up when norton found the virus saying please upgrade norton anti virus with new software? thats what proberly happend ya see like w-xp they let or make up viruses so you'll buy more software.

i have no internet protection just me firewall and i download all sorts of stuff
microsoft office, adobe photoshop etc.
and i haven't had a single problem with my mac.

uninstall norton and mail it back to those blood hounds who made it for mac in a million pieces!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
Danster said:
did you get a pop-up when norton found the virus saying please upgrade norton anti virus with new software? thats what proberly happend ya see like w-xp they let or make up viruses so you'll buy more software.

i have no internet protection just me firewall and i download all sorts of stuff
microsoft office, adobe photoshop etc.
and i haven't had a single problem with my mac.

uninstall norton and mail it back to those blood hounds who made it for mac in a million pieces!!!
No it said norotn found a trojan then it couldnt automaticly clean it so then I deleted the virus. Then I thought mac couldnt get virsues then i went under ther little apple in the toolbar and cliked software update It said that I had to update 2 security patch and not im not getting hijacked anumore to bad websites. Thats what happened I was hajiacked to a different website then I got two trojans and I had to delete it. SO I guess I was the first person on the planet to get two treojans on an apple. Lucky me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Macs don't get virus. These depend on the windows registry and we simply don't have that crap. Norton is not a good third party choice for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, no viruses, norton has gone down the drain (to put it nicely) the last few years and usually causes more harm than it does good, often damaging b-trees thinking look, whats that? I dont know, but let me try to kill it. I say remove any norton products immediately.
theres no need for it anyway.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
There are around 10 known viruses/trojans for OS X... don't lie to him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, they are squashed by security updates, theres a couple of trojans but you have to be fooled into installing them with pirated software, there is like 2 actual viruses for mac os x, but again, dont pirate software, and you wont get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
You don't have to put the virus in pirated software, you can put it into a freeware app... just claim that it cures cancer or something magnificent... it will spread.

And uhh, Opener can still screw the system, but Apple claims its not a virus... reality check, Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
You have to be admin or root to install anything that can harm a Mac. True worms and virus are dependent on the registry in windows. What part of this distinction is being missed? No Unix, OS X or Linux is exposed to this idiotic OS architecture. Period

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
You have to be admin or root to install anything that can harm a Mac. True worms and virus are dependent on the registry in windows. What part of this distinction is being missed? No Unix, OS X or Linux is exposed to this idiotic OS architecture. Period
What is stopping anyone from using root/admin account while online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
What is stopping anyone from using root/admin account while online?
How smart they are. Admin is safe on line because of the password prompt. Never be root on line

OP
S
Reaction score
Macman said:
no, they are squashed by security updates, theres a couple of trojans but you have to be fooled into installing them with pirated software, there is like 2 actual viruses for mac os x, but again, dont pirate software, and you wont get them.
well then how did i get two viruses am i just unlucky. Well I didnt install a security update so I think thats why. But im keeping norton becuase it deleted two torjans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Norton is searching for windows virus, they are meaningless to your Mac. Norton is the wrong choice for Mac, use Virex and only if you network to windows computers. And that's the bottom line!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I agree with whiteshark, most likely the trojans you downloaded are designed for windows PC's..

The reason norton detects them is so you don't accidentally spread them to windows users...

But realistically the chances of you getting a Virus on OS X is very very slim indeed...

I wouldn't bother with Norton, unless you are on a network with other windows machines, in which case you might want to leave it on so you don't inadvertadly spread viruses to the windows users.

But most viruses will NOT affect your mac. The ones that will have to ask you for your password so they can install themselves...Don't give your password to any install dialogs you don't intend to install..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
The reason it popped up and said that you had a trojan is because Norton will detect windows viruses also. If you had looked at the file extension on that "virus" you would have found that it was a .exe. Mac doesn't use executables. It was a PC virus and wouldn't have been able to harm your Mac. Norton will detect it and try to take care of it anyway in order to keep you from passing it on to other PC users.

R

ryanyogan

Someone could easliy wright a Trojan and it would take a while for Apple them selves to stop it, they would have to figure out what it is first. A Trojan would have nothing to do with "registry" all a Trojan is, is a program that hides and runs in the background, usually sends the IP address of the victim to the person that installed it, or sent it to you. The only thing I don't understand is how you would get someone to install a Trojan since there is no way to really auto run a program on a mac? Unless you made it in Java and just made a nice "FREEMONEY.jar" file and they clicked that....It could be done, but if I were going to write a Trojan I suppose I would write it for windows. Most Trojans by the way are installed by people you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, obviously, it's not as easy as you might think to write a Trojan for Mac, otherwise it would exist already. A UNIX-based system is not as easy to fool around with, that's why malicious software like a virus, worm or trojan isn't easily made.
The reason why most of this things are written for Windows is mainly because it's the largest userbase, but also because Windows makes it so easy to break in it's system...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.