Do Mac Pro components fit Power Mac? Advice needed for Project.

Reaction score
NB, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MACS

Hi there! I need a new computer, preferably a mac. But funds are tight and I would like to recycle some items a friend has given me from his tragically destroyed mac pro.

The components are:

• [*]The two cards that are used to slot ram onto
    [*]8x 512Mb RAM to go into these slots
    [*]Ati Radeon X1900XT 512MB Video Card X1900 PCIE
    [*]4x 750Gb Hard Disks
    [*]The DVDR drive

Basically anything we could easily pull out.

Could I fit these into an old Powermac? To buy a MacPro without these would cost as much as making one with them. I am looking to get a cheaper deal on ebay (UK).

If anyone has any ideas, or any knowledege of what i can do with them please share your thoughts, its would be a shame for the components to gather dust like they are now.

thanks

ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The RAM cards cannot be used; nor can the RAM. I'm 90% sure the video card will not work since one system is Intel and one is PPC, but someone else will have to confirm that. You should be able to use the hard drives (PowerMac G5s only accept 2 hard drives at once) and the DVDR drive without any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The 2 hard drives will only work in the G5 Power Macs. The DVD drive will fit into any Power Mac. Sell the rest cause they will only work in a specific Mac Pro, the one your friend had.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the replies! aww. does anyone know where i could get a cheap mac pro that doesnt come with RAM, Graphics card, HDD? when i asked my mac retailer they said it would cost just as much as a new £1000 one, and would be pointless... but their a premium reseller.

anyone know?:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
thanks for the replies! aww. does anyone know where i could get a cheap mac pro that doesnt come with RAM, Graphics card, HDD? when i asked my mac retailer they said it would cost just as much as a new £1000 one, and would be pointless... but their a premium reseller.

anyone know?:)
I wouldn't bother doing that. Just configure it from the seller with the least amount of RAM, hard drive space, and cheapest graphics card they have. Then just put in the components you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
eBay- maybe you can luck out finding one where someone stole a lot of the internals. Otherwise, no. No Mac Pro was ever shipped incomplete. If one ships incomplete, it might be one to avoid. It's probably broken, like your friends.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.