IBM External USB Keyboard - No Windows Key - Looking For Shortcut

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound strange, but I really love my IBM External USB Keyboard. I am using it right now. I discovered that I could plug it in and use it without any difficulty at all. I am a fan of the track point and I really like being able to sit back in my chair with the keyboard in my lap and "mouse" with the trackpoint without moving my fingers from the keyboard to grab a mouse.

Now for the problem...

I want to figure out what to use to replace the Command key for Apple keyboard shortcuts. I think I read somewhere that the Windows key replaces the Command key on PC keyboards. I am not even sure that this is true, but even if it is, it leaves me at a loss because IBM keyboards lack a Windows key. I am sure there is a shortcut to replicate the Windows key, which would in turn be a shortcut to replicate the Command key if the Windows key does in fact replace the Command key on PC keyboards.

So does anyone know a keyboard shortcut for the IBM keyboard to replicate the Windows key? I am tired of reaching up to the Edit menu because I don't have a Command key, and I am not ready to give up on the IBM keyboard. I just like it too much hooked up to my Mac as a second keyboard. Reaching for the other keyboard every time I need a Command key just defeats the whole purpose of having the other keyboard on my lap and takes more time than mousing the menus.

Thanks in advance.

Terri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
maybe you could try some key reassignment (either within preferences or there are software you can download) there is also software that allows you to assign 'gestures' or keyboard macros.

Hope that helps O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
ctrl-esc maps to the windows key in windows. Maybe try that? does not work on my mac keyboard though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I too like IBM keyboards.

I believe (from memory) that the Left CTRL key acts as a Windows key for most Windows key + functions. Give that a try and let us know.

BTW, I'm using an Apple aluminum keyboard and love it. Have you tried one?

Regards.

OP
goddess_of_go
Reaction score
I do have an aluminum keyboard and I do love it but it doesn't have the track point so that means that I can't sit with it on my lap without having to reach for a mouse too. That's the problem, and it is too wide to actually balance well on my lap.

Terri

OP
goddess_of_go
Reaction score
ctrl-esc maps to the windows key in windows. Maybe try that? does not work on my mac keyboard though.

Ctrl-esc just gets me the sound that means something isn't working (a fairly high pitched thud sound). I am not sure what you call that sound. At least I got that sound when I tried it in Text Edit. While I am in this window I don't get a sound, but I don't get any results when I pair the keyboard combination with C to copy or with P to paste.

Terri

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.