3G iPhone- cancel data or no?

Reaction score
I want to know for sure that you are unable to cancel/not get the data plan on the 3g Iphone. My friend brought his 3g phone over and he didnt get 3g at my house, or within about a 10 mile radius around my town.

I dont see the point in the data plan, especially if I will be near wifi most of the time, so I want to know if it would be better to either buy an unlocked iphone off of craigslist (I found several 16gb's for $300 in good condition, I could just plop my AT&T razr's sim in and go) or wait and get the 3G and cancel the data plan (if possible).

The reason for this is 1) as stated above, I dont get 3g in my area, so its not worth $30. 2) The main reason I want the iphone is to use it as an ipod touch with phone capabilities, so I dont have to walk around all day with both. Since the MBP (which Ill be buying soon) comes with an ipod touch, I figure Ill be able to sell that and pay off the iphone; or most of it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I had to be specific so I didnt get people saying "why dont you want data? Thats what its all about!"

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Edge is a little slow, but still very usable. I'd just get a first gen iPhone and activate it through iTunes. with the $20 data plan if it's still possible. Just because the new phone is out doesn't mean they have to pretend the first one never existed.

I doubt you'll be able to have the 3G iPhone without the data plan. To get the subsidized price, you have to sign the 2 year contract, which I'm sure requires the data plan to stay with it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I figured.

Eh, I kind of like the aluminum back of the 1st gen better than the 3g anyways. The only thing better about the 3G as far as Im concerned is that Mr. Jobs said it has "better sound quality," not sure if that is true, though.

Do you think it would be better to buy a used 1st gen now or wait until after the new 3g's come out since the price might go down? It could go either way, I think.

Thanks for the help. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
They CANT lower the price any more. The phone is worth just that. Unless they increase something else, lets say like DATA plans.

EDGE is fully capable of fulfilling your typical browsing needs. If you really dont want to pay for 3G service, then just get the old iphone. AT&T still offers and will continue to add on that particular service plan.

Just my .02 pesos

OP
S
Reaction score
No I meant the prices for the used/1st gen iphones would probably go down after the 3g launches... sorry for the mix up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I don't know- there might be a flood of sellers but there will most likely be the same amount of people trying to buy the phone to hack it. The new 3G iPhone will cost $600 or so without a contract. I don't really see a price drop.

Reaction score
Edge is a little slow, but still very usable. I'd just get a first gen iPhone and activate it through iTunes. with the $20 data plan if it's still possible. Just because the new phone is out doesn't mean they have to pretend the first one never existed.

what is the $20 plan? is it an add-on to a voice plan?

OP
S
Reaction score
The old iphone had a $20 data plan in comparison to the 3g iphone's $30 a month. Its just added on on top of your minutes. The 1st gen also had 200 text messages, and the 3g has none included in the plan.

Reaction score
I see. And if today i walk into att to upgrade from the old iPhone, do i get to keep the $20 plan on the iphone 3g?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can shut off data right on the phone? I am in the same boat. I am looking for an ipod with phone capabilities. Not very interested in the data other then GPS but I can live without it. Id like to save the 30$ a month that data will cost. With Rogers you dont have to get a data package but they charge 5 cents per KB. So if I accidentally load up say 1MB of data Im already at 50$. So to avoid this problem I figured I would just go ahead and get the data package then I dont have to worry about accidents. This would all be solved if I could some how 'shut off' data. Anyone know if this is possible?

OP
S
Reaction score
yflc, not from what Ive heard, it seems like the data plans are specific to the phones (3g = 30, 1st gen = 20). Not sure why. I mean Im sure they could just eliminate 3g, but whatever.

Snowman, theres no way that I know of, but Ive heard for the 1st gen you can call up your provider and cancel AND (important) block the data. That would keep you from accidental charges. You might also be able to cancel the data from the site still, but Im not sure. I havent gotten mine yet! But from what Ive heard, the 3g iphones that arent unlocked, have to have the data plan. Which sucks.

Oh well, Im most likely going to be buying an unlocked 16gb first gen one on craigslist for ~$250-300 and jailbreak it.

Reaction score
Hey Simon,
I'm in the same boat as you, in terms of data for the iPhone 3G. I'm currently studying at Waterloo, and, as far as most university campuses go, it has FREE, CONSTANT wifi access on campus. I do NOT need internet from Rogers, and from what I understand (according to helpful Rogers CSR Dwayne), if your wifi connection breaks while you're surfin', it'll automatically and seamelessly switch to 3G.
Now, assuming a youtube video of approximately 50mb, it'll come to $250, for that one video, that you didn't know you were paying for because of the "seameless" transition between wifi and 3G.
Furthermore, if you were to use up 400mb on 3G without a plan, it would cost you an astronomical $20,480.
I totally agree with you in your saying that it would be supremely advantageous to quite a fair number of Canadians in similar boats if it were possible to "switch off" 3G browsing and connections.
Frankly, I'd MUCH preffer having a "connection lost" popup then a $20,000 phone bill!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
They charge 5 cents per KB when you don't have the 3G plan or when you do. I am so lost any your figures seem unbelievable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.