Help Please! My keyboard on my desktop is screwy

Reaction score
I need help with this problem I'm having with my keyboard for my iMac. The biggest problem is that it can't type any letters. It does respond to some things I type like numbers and punctuation marks but I have to hold down the control and option keys just to even get it to do that. When I press some of the letter keys they will respond by for example opening a program or closing a program or it will go to File, Edit, View. Not sure if I'm explaining myself right. Anyway, please help. This is really frustrating me:Shouting: Thank you for your help ;D

OP
A
Reaction score
I think it could be some kind of set up for disabled persons to use the keyboard. I can't figure out how to turn this function off and make the keyboard function normally.

OP
A
Reaction score
I think what it's doing is the command key (the key with the apple logo and a pound sign) is locked. when i type a letter it will perform a command. like S is for save. I only have to type S and it will do a save command, without me holding the S key. Does anybody know what this is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I think what it's doing is the command key (the key with the apple logo and a pound sign) is locked. when i type a letter it will perform a command. like S is for save. I only have to type S and it will do a save command, without me holding the S key. Does anybody know what this is?

That reads like a dodgy keyboard. Can you try an alternative, eg. a friend's Mac computer with your k/b. If the problem replicates, then I think its the k/b that needs replacing.
[PS. I have a Genius k/b with the S key that keeps repeating. Nothing I can do fixes it, but PC k/b's generally work really well with OS X.]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.