OSX Leopard and wifi network problem.

Reaction score
Hiya, not quite sure if this is a hardware or a software problem, but seeing as i'm hoping for a software solution i'll put it here.

I have a macbook pro and a netgear wireless rangemax WPN824 router. My modem is an older model one that came when we registered with ntl (forgotten who owns them now.)

Thr problem is that when i'm on the net on my laptop, the internet will randomly cut out. It is not accessable from the desktop either until I unplug the router and the modem, and replug them back in. I also have to restart the main computer. This is getting pretty annoying, and I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy fix?

Oh and ore information: it happens more often when streaming video (iplayer or youtube), and the connection still needs to be fully reset.

Cheers

Cpfoxhunt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
It can be a number of different things...

Try unplugging the router and turning off the computer (I mean fully turned off)...

The plug in the router first, let it boot, then boot up your Mac.

See if that helps...

Reaction score
Is it just your mac that drops wireless? Or is it all wireless devices in your home (I assume you have more than one wireless device).

If its all devices then you can pretty much narrow it down to your router. If its just your Mac..well then its your Mac!

I had a similar issue with a bad linksys router years ago, it would drop all my wireless devices then connect again in a few seconds. Annoying. Replaced the router and never looked back!

Hope this helps..sorta.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have done the whole 'turn Everything off' thing and it is only a very short term fix. I have also narrowed it down to just the mac, although when the mac takes the net down, it takes it down for everything, including the main computer attatched to the router.

Reaction score
This is a MAC LEOPARD issue, not a network issue, most likely. I have two windows machines and a linux ubuntu machine, all with wifi, all without issue. On my macbook, when I use ANY key whether wep or wpa, I get the same issues. Wont' connect on wake / start, drops connection all the time. Way to go apple. You are turning me from an enthusiastic fan to a doubter with this one. Back to tiger I guess.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have done the whole 'turn Everything off' thing and it is only a very short term fix. I have also narrowed it down to just the mac, although when the mac takes the net down, it takes it down for everything, including the main computer attatched to the router.

This is a router issue. Your Mac cannot "take down" the entire network unless you are in the router's config pages making changes. It makes no changes to the router, nor it's configuration. It only uses the connection. If your wired connection is going down at the same time, it's time for a new router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.