SMB folder share troubles

Reaction score
I'm having some issues accessing a network drive on my server at home.
Here is the scenario:

Server is: Windows 2008 Enterprise with a USB attached HD for storage
Workgroup is: XXX (x's and y's represent my network..blah blah)
Computername is: YYY
IP: 192.168.1.40
I am sharing the E: drive (usb) to all users with full control on the permissions.

I connect via SMB to 192.168.1.40 on my Macbook and get prompted for credentials. I use the server's administrator username and password. I can then mount the drive and browse files. However I cannot upload folders/files or create new files/folders on the shared E: drive.

I've used the following combination of credentials:

XXX\Administrator
pw

YYY\Administrator
pw

Administrator
pw

I can't seem to figure out why I can't write to it. I was able to do so on my old server (windows 2003).

Any clues?

Right now I am FTPing any files I want over to the shared drive, over my local network that's lame!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Your sure the security permissions are full control and not the share permissions right?

Either way XXX\Administrator should have full control of everything.

Try smb://192.168.1.40/c$ or e$

OP
cyberfed
Reaction score
E$ worked. Brain fart, so did fixing the security permissions. thanks mate.
Windows 2008 is just a little different than 2003 and wasn't looking in the right place. Lesson learned! That will be a mistake I only make once, and at least I made it now rather then when my company starts rolling out 2008 servers! :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.