Connect to Server Question

Reaction score
Ok quick question here.
Im running 10.5 on my Macbook (Client) and Windows Home Server on an old desktop pc which I now want to use as a home file server.

Weird thing though is that when it shows up under shared in the Finder as say, MediaServer, I cannot connect to it.

Then I tried going to Finder>Go>Connect to Server
smb://mediaserver
Still, a no go for connection

After ipconfig on the windows machine, I connected using the IP address of the server
smb://192.168.XXX.XXX

However this may pose to be a problem as its a dynamic IP. Does anything have any insight as to why I cannot connect using strictly the name, the one that actually shows up under shared?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
First off ALL SERVERS SHOULD HAVE STATIC IP'S

Secondly the server can supply DHCP as well as DNS. The latter being why you can't resolve the name correctly.

Set the server to static. Install directory services, DNS and DHCP should also be installed. The set the rest of your network up to get addressing and DNS from the server and turn off any other DHCP services running on any other routers etc.

At least give the server a static IP.

OP
N
Reaction score
I know a static IP would make thing a lot easier, but for the time being (until I move in August) I will have to run the server off a wireless connection coming from a router set up elsewhere in my house.

I will try your suggestions however, and see where that takes me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.