Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Reaction score
Windows and Virus's ?

One reason I went with a Mac is to avoid Virus's, but I'd really like to run XP.

A few questions:
1. How much risk am I taking to virus exposure by running Windows?
2. Do some methods of running XP offer more security against virus's than others?
3. Can a Mac Windows install get a virus through the internet if I limit my internet surfing to Mac OS only?

Thanks

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. Running Windows on a Mac is just like running Windows on a PC. So, your Windows installation is certainly susceptible to viruses.

2. Yes and no. If you run Windows in a virtual machine (i.e. Parallels or VMWare) and you give the virtual machine access to your Mac's hard drive, there is a potential for a virus to damage your Mac's files. Likewise, if you run Windows in Boot Camp and you've installed a driver that allows the Windows installation to access your Mac's partition, the same thing could potentially happen. In either case, this would require a very specific set of circumstances and is rather unlikely. In real world usage, any virus infections would be relatively confined to the Windows installation and not harm Mac OS X in the slightest.

3. No. Just as you can't run Windows software on Mac OS, you can't execute a Windows virus and have it effect OS X. While you could potentially download a virus, the virus would not be able to run in Mac OS X. With that said, you could potentially forward on a Windows virus to another Windows machine, but your Mac OS install would remain undamaged.

Reaction score
A really urgent question.
I've just finished installing windows xp sp2 on my mac and I want to connect to the internet using airport extreme but I have no connection whatsoever. What am I supposed to do?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A really urgent question.
I've just finished installing windows xp sp2 on my mac and I want to connect to the internet using airport extreme but I have no connection whatsoever. What am I supposed to do?

Did you insert your Leopard disc and allow the Boot Camp drivers to install?

Reaction score
GUID partitioning, BootCamp, XP.

LEARNING.. this is help here
backup everything first. Time machine is great..Have a USB/Kbd/Mouse

BOOTCAMP only works on GUID partitioning.
I ONLY found in Dos on the Early F8 repair option a XP disk.
Symptoms:: Bootcamp typically locks up saying to reformat in GUID. and you cant find the option. and ((Option) grayed out)
It will just not work if you have repartitioned to something else.. Note if its GUID or something else by pressing the blue (i) information on the hard drive in drive utility while the whole drive is selected
.Even Disk Utility wont work "no GUID selection".
TO fix that. With a XP system disk,, repartition the whole drive build by selecting F8 repair disk and type DISKPART in dos.. repartition. the whole drive.

Get back to
Back to OS X disk Restore from Time machine with a backup and using the OSX disk. (up on the Tabs)
After your Mac works again .In Boot Camp Partition to less than 32G for fat32. Windows. Partition to over 32 to NTSF.
Install windows ...

COMMAND KEY ON MAC boots from CD.
C from USB keyboard 101 type.. boots from CD.

Mouse button held forever from booting Mac machine .. ejects disk.

OSX CD disk has a tab to option which to boot from if needed.

GOOOD luck. . Write me if this helps..anyone.

Dan

Reaction score
Using Windows Keyboard with Office on bootcamped Mac

Oops: Hoping I have the the correct forum this time?...

I've bootcamped and loaded Windows XP/Office 2007 and connected a Windows keyboard. I have not been able to figure out how to use keys like > and < when in ACCESS. Anyone out there ever experienced this and resolved the problem? Any help much appreciated.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Windows keyboard on bootcamped Mac

Thanks for the link - it was helpful but I haven't resolved my original issue.

I will keep searching.

Reaction score
Anyone know how to make a 2nd ntfs volume seen in vmware, whithtout copying it

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know how to make a 2nd ntfs volume seen in vmware, whithtout copying it

Shut down the VM (do not suspend it), go into its settings. Click on Hard Disks, click the + button. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Reaction score
I'm completely new to all of this, I just wanna be able to get steam on my mac to start playing a bit of counterstrike again and maybe even get into guild wars. I have no idea how to do any of this and went to the link for darwine. Which one should I download? There's a power pc version, a x86 version, and a universal version that also says SDK. My computer specs are 10.4.11, 2 gb of ram, 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo. All the advice given on the subject would help tons being that I know nothing of all this. I would go with boot camp but I only have the windows xp installation disc with service pack 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
U need sp2 or use VMware fusion.

Reaction score
it means if you want to use your current xp disc with sp1 you will need to buy vmware fusion and then run windows via the virtual machine. to run windows under bootcamp you must have xp w/sp2.

Reaction score
Would I be able to use a windows xp sp 1 installation disc then use an upgrade I got from microsoft with sp 2 on boot camp?

Reaction score
So what would be my best bet to get to play Guild Wars/Steam games? I have windows xp sp1 with a seperate cd to upgrade to sp2. I've got a macbook version 10.4.11 Any advice on the cheapest/easiest way to go about doing this?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I need a computer with windows on it to do that? Might just end up buying a newer version, I skimmed through the instructions and its pretty hard for me to follow.

That's right. It's actually pretty straightforward, it walks you through step-by-step.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.