Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Reaction score
Dual Boot

Guys,

I have installed XP Sp 2 through Bootcamp3. I there anyway of booting into a boot screen where you have the options of selecting your operating system.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, press and hold the Option key immediately after turning on your system. Then you can choose the appropriate boot partition. You can later set the default boot partition in either System Preferences => Startup Disk (on OS X) or in Control Panel => Boot Camp (Windows).

Reaction score
Voipbuster Pro

Hey, I switched to MacBook in June and I just love it. It litterally changed my life, I hate pc's, every pc I ever had runned slowly, crashing, every PC, I've never kept a pc functionning properly for a long time.

Anyways, I would love to be able to use Voipbuster Pro because of the cheaper sms and phone calls I can make. Unfortunately it does not work on Mac. What would be the best alternative to use this windows program? If installing windows gives me the risk of getting virus or ruining my mac, I won't do it. But being able to run Voipbuster Pro would be great because phone costs are pretty expensive here in Belgium (for me at least) and Voipbuster pro was really an interesting alternative.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I switched to MacBook in June and I just love it. It litterally changed my life, I hate pc's, every pc I ever had runned slowly, crashing, every PC, I've never kept a pc functionning properly for a long time.

Anyways, I would love to be able to use Voipbuster Pro because of the cheaper sms and phone calls I can make. Unfortunately it does not work on Mac. What would be the best alternative to use this windows program? If installing windows gives me the risk of getting virus or ruining my mac, I won't do it. But being able to run Voipbuster Pro would be great because phone costs are pretty expensive here in Belgium (for me at least) and Voipbuster pro was really an interesting alternative.

Probably using virtualization software would be the easiest way to go. Look into VirtualBox, a free virtualization package. You will, unfortunately, have to purchase a copy of Windows to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
Windows 7 on imac without a disc

Hello,
I am having trouble installing Windows 7 on my imac. I qualified for the student discount and I can download Windows 7 straight from the website so I don't receive a disc.

Can someone please give me instructions on how to install it from there. I can't do it from Bootcamp.:[
Thank you.

Reaction score
Installing Windows 7 pro onto Imac (2008)

I am upgrading my RAM from 2 gig to 4, installing Parallels and then installing windows7 pro. I have a 24"IMAC that is one year old, intel processor. I'm wondering if it matters which windows 7 version I install. Pro seems to be middle of the road but nothing I read says which one to use (home, pro, or ultimate). Anyone see anything wrong with what I am about to do here?
Thanks Donnars11

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am upgrading my RAM from 2 gig to 4, installing Parallels and then installing windows7 pro. I have a 24"IMAC that is one year old, intel processor. I'm wondering if it matters which windows 7 version I install. Pro seems to be middle of the road but nothing I read says which one to use (home, pro, or ultimate). Anyone see anything wrong with what I am about to do here?
Thanks Donnars11

Unless you intend to join a domain (which would only apply to large corporate networks), there is no need for any version other than Home Premium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2009
Good day. Belatedly realized I posted the quoted section in wrong forum. Understand now the reinstallation CD is a no go. Just want to make sure I get the right product for what I need.

If I purchase this:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems

will it do the trick?

Thanks!

OP:

Good day all. New convert here...had my MB about 3 weeks now and enjoying it. Got great help already from this site. Switched from a Dell laptop running XP. Read alot here about the subject question but still not sure I get it. I'm military so need to access some secure websites using my CAC reader that are only supported w/ IE. Also need to take an exam on my MB using ExamSoft that requires running XP or Vista. So, need to install either XP or Vista for those 2 purposes.

I have the OEM reinstallation CD for XP SP2 from my old Dell and have no need to keep the Dell if I can get XP on the MB. My Q is: can I uninstall XP from the Dell and use the reinstallation CD to install XP on the MB? Have read about this phone activation process but not sure what that entails. Or do I need to drop the $300 on a new full version of XP (I'd prefer not to mess with either Vista or 7 if possible).

Finally, is 32 GB sufficient space for the XP partition given my intended uses?

Many thanks for any advice!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz, 4 GB Mem, OS 10.6.2
I just bought my first Apple computer, an MBP. I need to use Windows to communicate with business colleagues and associates. In choosing the partition options, I don't understand what it means that NTFS partition (for Windows Pro) "will be read only under Mac OS X." I intend to use Windows on my Mac to receive and send Windows docs to my PC desktop and to colleagues with a PC; I do not intend to send these Windows docs to the Mac side of the MPB (they will be in non-Mac applications). Will I be OK w/ NTFS?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just bought my first Apple computer, an MBP. I need to use Windows to communicate with business colleagues and associates. In choosing the partition options, I don't understand what it means that NTFS partition (for Windows Pro) "will be read only under Mac OS X." I intend to use Windows on my Mac to receive and send Windows docs to my PC desktop and to colleagues with a PC; I do not intend to send these Windows docs to the Mac side of the MPB (they will be in non-Mac applications). Will I be OK w/ NTFS?

Mac OS X only has the ability to read (not write) to NTFS partitions. So, if you're using Boot Camp to install Windows (probably not the best course of action for what it seems like you want to do), be aware that your Boot Camp partition will only be readable by Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 128GB/4GB SDRAM & iMac 2.5GHz QuadCore 500GB HardDrive / 8GB SDRAM
Probably using virtualization software would be the easiest way to go. Look into VirtualBox, a free virtualization package. You will, unfortunately, have to purchase a copy of Windows to do so.

I am in a similar situation and would like your suggestion.

I have PB G4 running Leopard and there is a program that I would like to run called Orchidwiz. I can't remember off the top of my head how much memory my Mac has (I'm at work), but I'm pretty sure I have plenty.

OrchidWiz Orchid Database Software Home Page

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Windows XP, Windows Vista; 2 GB of disk space.

I know it can be done because I saw someone using it on a Mac at an orchid show but I didn't get a chance to ask them about it.

It is a large database program with photos. What do you think would be the best program to use?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately PowerPC Macs can't run Windows without emulation, which is usually so slow it's mostly unusable, particularly for a database program, which tends to be CPU intensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately PowerPC Macs can't run Windows without emulation, which is usually so slow it's mostly unusable, particularly for a database program, which tends to be CPU intensive.

Forgive my ignorance. It's been 5 wonderful years of not having to buy a new computer.

Are you saying that the older PBs are not able to run Windows or all PBs including the new ones I just drooled
over in the Mac store?

Thanks!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgive my ignorance. It's been 5 wonderful years of not having to buy a new computer.

Are you saying that the older PBs are not able to run Windows or all PBs including the new ones I just drooled
over in the Mac store?

Thanks!

The PowerBook line has been discontinued and replaced by the MacBook/MacBook Pro line. All MacBook/MacBook Pro models are equipped with Intel processors and can run Windows natively. All PowerBook, iBook and PowerMac models are equipped with PowerPC processors.

Be sure to read the guide at the start of this thread, this is covered as are the options that you have for running emulation (although I wouldn't recommend bothering with it for your purposes).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be sure to read the guide at the start of this thread, this is covered as are the options that you have for running emulation (although I wouldn't recommend bothering with it for your purposes).

Thanks I did read the entire thread before posting but sometimes you guys/gals speak in another language. ;D :Confused:

I guess it is time to upgrade to another Mac. Oh well, the pixels were starting to go anyway. :Smirk:

Reaction score
License for anyione to install OEM builder's Windows

If I am not a reseller of hardware, does the license allow me to use it? Or am I required to purchase a retail version? I purchased the OEM system builder's software, but before I open the seal, I am reading the license. it seems to say that I can only use the license if I am a reseller of hardware. I am not. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.