Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Reaction score
Another potential pitfall is that within Windows, you can not access your Mac OS X partition without a 3rd party program like MacDrive.

Does this mean I can't share files between the two partitions? Like, say I have a file from a program I worked on in CrossOver, but now I'm moving to a real boot camp install, and would like that file on the windows OS because the application only works well in real windows. What can I do for that?

Also, what's a built-in optical disc drive?

Finally, I got this message when I attempted to partition earlier:

The Disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

No idea what it means. I don't know how to format it. :( Help please?

One more question-will the mac's built-in mic/webcam work with boot camp?

Last edited:
OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does this mean I can't share files between the two partitions?

Mac OS X can read NTFS partitions, but it can not write them. Conversely, Windows can not see HFS+ partitions. You can purchase a program like Paragon NTFS for Mac, which both allows you to read/write NTFS, and also read/write HFS+ within Windows.

Like, say I have a file from a program I worked on in CrossOver, but now I'm moving to a real boot camp install, and would like that file on the windows OS because the application only works well in real windows. What can I do for that?

How about just installing the program in Windows from its installation disc?

Also, what's a built-in optical disc drive?

The little slot that you put CDs and DVDs into.

Finally, I got this message when I attempted to partition earlier:

No idea what it means. I don't know how to format it. :( Help please?

One more question-will the mac's built-in mic/webcam work with boot camp?

I suggest you do a search, this has been covered many, many times.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a question about running paralles on my macbook.....

I am a student and I have to use WinSCP3. I know that this is a Windows program and I am prepared to run Windows on my Mac, but the class is a Photoshop Class...will I need Photoshop for Windows as well or will I be able use the Mac version of Photoshop while using Windows?

I hope this question makes sense ...

I would imagine that the Mac version is very similar, but you should probably ask your professor.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi I am running Windows Vista via Parallels on my MBP! How do I get Vista to recognize my webcame right now its saying I do not have any?

Make sure you install the drivers. This is the last step of Boot Camp installation. While running Windows, pop in your Leopard disc (or System Disc 1) and the drivers should begin installing automatically.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I've just bought a Mac Pro 8 core (early 09) and wanted to know if Windows xp sp3 32bit is able to utalise all 8 cores, and does it run smoothly?
Thanks!

Yes, and yes.

Reaction score
Mac OS X can read NTFS partitions, but it can not write them. Conversely, Windows can not see HFS+ partitions. You can purchase a program like Paragon NTFS for Mac, which both allows you to read/write NTFS, and also read/write HFS+ within Windows.

How about just installing the program in Windows from its installation disc?
It's a free app, so DL'ing it is no problem. But what worries me is my files. Although the solution of a flash drive just came to me... Feel kinda stupid. O:)

The little slot that you put CDs and DVDs into.

Derp.

I suggest you do a search, this has been covered many, many times.

I will. Thanks.

Reaction score
Okay, new problem. I have the windows OS as only an .iso file. What can I do to mount it with boot camp or otherwise?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, new problem. I have the windows OS as only an .iso file. What can I do to mount it with boot camp or otherwise?

Boot Camp has very specific requirements of Windows. It must be a retail disc or a non-branded OEM "for System Builders" disc. If it's XP, it must have SP2 integrated.

Where did your ISO file come from?

Reaction score
Um... Yeaaaaah... So what now... I have the new partition on my hard drive and no good way to install my windows OS. What can I do to somehow install it on the other partition?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Then you won't be getting any help from anyone here.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh well. Thanks anyways.

Reboot your machine, holding down the Option key. Boot from your Macintosh HD partition when prompted. Change your Startup Disk in System Preferences back to Macintosh HD. Then re-run the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition.

We don't permit discussion of illegal activity here, including pirating software.

Reaction score
Well, I got it to work. Windows is now installed. But I have the annoying problem that it won't connect to the internet for some reason. I have the feeling that I missed a step in the installation.

I looked at this (outdated link removed) and it tells me I should've burned a mac drivers CD. But I never was given the option. I'm kinda stumbling in the dark here.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I got it to work. Windows is now installed. But I have the annoying problem that it won't connect to the internet for some reason. I have the feeling that I missed a step in the installation.

I looked at this (outdated link removed) and it tells me I should've burned a mac drivers CD. But I never was given the option. I'm kinda stumbling in the dark here.

That guide is outdated. Just pop in your Leopard disc (or System Disc 1) while you're running Windows. It should being installing the drivers automatically.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
VISTA and Parallels Desktop 4.0 issues!

Hi, I'm having trouble with connecting to the internet when I am in VISTA. I am using Parallels Desktop 4.0. I have no problem connecting when I am in the Mac O.S.. VISTA doesn't appear to be detecting the hardware. Can anyone help me resolve this?

Also, can I use and install the same Windows VISTA installation disc (system builders edition) and incorporate it so that I can boot using BOOTCAMP? If so, how do I go about doing this? Can anyone provide me a link?

Thanks!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I'm having trouble with connecting to the internet when I am in VISTA. I am using Parallels Desktop 4.0. I have no problem connecting when I am in the Mac O.S.. VISTA doesn't appear to be detecting the hardware. Can anyone help me resolve this?

Make sure you install Parallels Tools inside your guest VM. This is done by clicking the Tools menu and "Install Parallels Tools".

Also, can I use and install the same Windows VISTA installation disc (system builders edition) and incorporate it so that I can boot using BOOTCAMP? If so, how do I go about doing this? Can anyone provide me a link?

Thanks!

Yes. Use the disc to install Vista via Boot Camp. When this is finished, the next time you start Parallels, it should automatically detect the Boot Camp partition and allow you to boot a VM from that partition. Be aware that you may have some problems with Vista's product activation scheme.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.