Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Reaction score
I believe that statement is misleading and not entirely true. Windows is the "ruling" OS in business not because of Windows or because anyone chooses it. Most people would choose anything else, if they could. They don't have the choice. Gov't, businesses, etc. always choose the cheapest crap they can find for hardware, as it's a big expenditure in volume and they don't see the need for many of their users to have anything better. It so happens that the operating system that runs on the cheapest crap is Windows. There aren't many "users" that "choose" Windows.
It might run on any "crap", but you need newer components to have a decent experience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
windows gaming alternatives... yes, all wine

Thanks for the links. I didn't know about "Playonmac" or "portingkit", but already have Winebottler and Wineskin. I also have a licensed version of Crossover which I'm currently using but I'm a bit disappointed in how much they charge for upgrades. I've stopped purchasing their upgrades because of that.

Reaction score
Arrgh..think I am going mad. I would really appreciate help here

Hello everybody,

I have just loads to try and get windows running from bootcamp. With no success. Can someone please give me an informed reply with an idiot's guide to how to do this as all the youtube tutorials don't work, windows product key/download are confusing me, usb and/or disk to complete process, what windows on what machine etc - I just can't seem to find a way.

My machine is iMac late 2009.

I tried Parallels, VMware but would prefer to have it running from bootcamp.

1. What windows do I need (to download), given my machine spec?
2. If Windows 7 it asks for a product key before downloading (unlike 8 or 10, where you can download iso first). Are these codes any product code for windows 7 (as opposed to an activation code) - I don't want to get the wrong one!
3. Assuming I manage to get the product key and windows 7 iso , what is the next step? I understand I need a usb. I also know that bootcamp gives me the screen where it has two tick boxes - one for support software and one for windows. This is where I have previously got to (before I saw that 2009 iMac couldn't run Windows 10).
4. Do I need to burn a disc? Previously said that I needed a disk, and there was no option to 'find' that iso/use usb flash drive to install. I was hoping I could do it from a ms-dos formatted usb (with 16gb)

I would really appreciate some guidance here to help me do this. I am going around in circles as to what to do!

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully help me.

Andy

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have just loads to try and get windows running from bootcamp. With no success. Can someone please give me an informed reply with an idiot's guide to how to do this as all the youtube tutorials don't work, windows product key/download are confusing me, usb and/or disk to complete process, what windows on what machine etc - I just can't seem to find a way.

Was the sticky thread read located in this sub-forum?:)

http://www.mac-forums.com/running-w...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My machine is iMac late 2009.

I tried Parallels, VMware but would prefer to have it running from bootcamp.

First, read thru the thread recommended by Administrator "Nick".

Since your iMac (2009 model) is equipped with an optical drive, you will need to install Windows via disk not USB. You may be able to buy Windows 7 on eBay or from Amazon, etc. Just make sure that it includes a valid product ID and that it is a full install version. You can not use an upgrade version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
I just learned about Wine/Crossover. Also see I have much to read in this thread.

We have an Estimating Program we wrote in Excel (many formulas, lookups, macro's running).
Can this wine/crossover actually open Excel and run all this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've only used Crossover for just a bit some time ago and wasn't needing to run Excel at the time so I will leave that side of the question to someone else.

Have you tried running the Macros from a Mac? The macro language in Excel works fairly well across platforms. I programmed a few macros in it and most of the functions existed on both platforms. There were of course a few functions that were platform specific and a few that existed on both platforms with minor differences. If you have Excel for the Mac my suggestion would be to make a backup of one or two files that you could treat as "sacrificial" data and test it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
I've only used Crossover for just a bit some time ago and wasn't needing to run Excel at the time so I will leave that side of the question to someone else.

Have you tried running the Macros from a Mac? The macro language in Excel works fairly well across platforms. I programmed a few macros in it and most of the functions existed on both platforms. There were of course a few functions that were platform specific and a few that existed on both platforms with minor differences. If you have Excel for the Mac my suggestion would be to make a backup of one or two files that you could treat as "sacrificial" data and test it.

I have not tried Excel for Mac, actually hoping something simpler could bring the few items I really need over.
Foremost, Excel (our estimating program/sheets)
Then, PDF xChange. The take-off software we use.

From there it's all gravy!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
well I decided to give the free trial a go with Crossover.

PDF xChange came over great.
I'm now fighting with Excel as I do not have a DVD drive to work with.. Hoping the stick will work..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Managed to get Office 2007 up and running. So far I'm liking this Crossover!

It was important all the formulas, lookups and macro's run. They are!

I'm going to buy it now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad to hear things are up and working for you. Thanks for posting the update. It might be useful information for someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 12 Pro Max, MacBook Pro mid-2010 17" High Sierra.
I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro, with a broken cd/dvd slot. I bought an external cd/dvd player and installed my legit copy of Windows 7, but when i tried the installation the screen went black, and i got this message. "Please install a bootable disc". I have no clue what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. By the way...The hard drive partitioning went ok.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, this is the same problem others have run into trying to install Windows on a MacBook Pro that has an optical drive but it is non functional.

The firmware of your MBP shows that an optical drive is installed, but it doesn't say whether it's working. Which is why you're getting that error. And, it won't recognize an external optical drive.

You can try installing Win 7 via USB or repair/replace the built in drive. Do a Google search for work arounds for your problem. I know that others have been able to get Windows installed without a working optical drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.