Showing hidden files in Safari's "Choose file" pop-up window?

Reaction score
Hey,

I recently ran into this problem while trying to submit my public SSH key to a server via a web-interface. The key's location is ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub and the "choose file" scroll-down window will not display any dotfiles. How can I change this?

Speaking of ssh keys, perhaps Mac has some kind of directory meant for those keys and such I'm simply unaware of? (unlikely I guess)

I know I can move the file to a different, non-hidden directory but that doesn't really solve problem number one, which still exists.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You'll have to show hidden files. You can do so in terminal by issuing.
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

all ssh keys are stored in ~/.ssh/known_hosts

it's a text file, this is true of every unix based OS I can think of. They're individual lines, so to delete them you just delete the line (it starts with the host name).

OP
M
Reaction score
if i use file:/// safari does indeed show hidden files. finder shows them too.

however, the "choose file" window still doesnt (the one you get after clicking the 'choose file' button, e.g. on imageshack)

any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohhhhh it's a scripted process? Hrm... Lemme try a few things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't been able to get it to show them, perhaps a non-hidden symlink to the file you need?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.