Wireless peripherals

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
Hey all,

I'm a recent switcher who got his MB less than 2 weeks ago :) but long time before having a Mac, I've always been interested in being able to use peripherals in a wireless fashion as I like to move around the house with my laptop.

Basically I'm looking for a solution where I'd be able to access data/files (that are not located on my MB) and also to use a printer wherever I am in the house.

Since I got a MB, I've been looking at the Time Capsule as an answer to what I want to do and also as a backup equipment.

I was just wondering if Time Capsule and Time Machine make it really easy to perform and maintain backup?
Also, what are the performance of Time Capsule in terms of wireless ability, is it slow? If I want to, let say watch a movie that is located on the Time Capsule, is there any lag?

Finally, is it worth it to consider buying a Time Capsule in my case or maybe should I look at other alternative?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Fidou,

There are folks here who do use Time Capsule for that, but I use a home network to do what you're asking about. I have 2 PCs plus my Macbook and I had my home network set up before I got my Mac. To add my Mac I just opened my Sharing preferences and clicked on both file sharing and printer sharing. In file sharing use the + and - to select/deselect what you would like to share (eg., Macbook, desktop, etc) and in Options, make sure SMB is selected. For printer sharing you need to have your printer's network name and highlight it and then open Print & Fax Preferences to select your printer. Then go to Options & Supplies/Drivers to select the driver you want to use (here is where you select your printer by brand & model). Then you should be good to go. Just make sure you have your Airport turned on in Network Preferences...

I hope that didn't confuse you... :Smirk:

As for backup, Time Machine is easy to use. Just hook up your external drive and select it in Time Machine Preferences. Then it will back your Mac up every hour if you want to leave it connected. I can't advise you on Time Capsule - sorry!

Good luck, Noel

OP
Fidou
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Noel,

Thanks for the info, in what you suggest, I understand that you have 2 PCs and an existing network to which you added your MB on. Also the printer is shared on the network, right?

I'm not sure if I was very clear, but in my case, I was interested in being able to access peripherals in a wireless fashion but not necessarily on a shared network.
For example, on my PC before and now on the MB, I can have 2 external disks, a printer and more connected to the machine (directly connected to the USB port or via a USB hub). However when I'm not in my room, if I want to access the printer and/or files on the external disks without having to either coming back to the room or bring the peripherals with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Fidou,

Yes, my 2 PCs, 2 printers and Macbook are all connected to a single secure network. I have them all "downwind" from my Verizon router, so I can put them all on that router, which is a secure wireless hub. The PCs are connected by LAN (hard-wired) into the router and the Mac sees it and the PCS and printers wirelessly. For backup I have 2 small externals which I use for the Mac (one uses TM, the other SuperDuper). I only hook them up every 2-3 days to get a snapshot for my own peace of mind. My PCs are intensively backed up separately because I have most of my data there as of now… I’m a recent switcher, also :)

Another option for you would be to replace your USB hub with a wireless USB hub that you could connect your externals and the printer to if you need wireless to wireless. I have wireless mobo’s (ASUS P5K-E’s) on my PCs, but don't use them that way; I’m concerned about sending my signals into the neighborhood.

Your idea of using a Time Capsule to do both backup and act as a wireless hub seems quite practical. The Mac ad says, “Time Capsule is also a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station. Every computer in your house can work off a wireless network at blazing speeds. And they can back up wirelessly to the same Time Capsule.” As long as you’re not worried about broadcasting your wireless net to neighbors and nearby computers, it should work fine.

I hope you’ll get some responses from folks who use Time Capsule. They can give you the straight info.

Good luck, Noel

OP
Fidou
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Noel.

Actually, I haven't thought about the issue of wireless broadcasting. It's another point to consider.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.