Keyboard function buttons no longer work

Reaction score
A few days ago, the volume, display brightness, and Expose buttons stopped working. I tried to going into the Keyboard & Mouse Pane but every time I tried to load it, it says "Could not load Keyboard and Mouse Preference Pane". Any help? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Possible Solution

Hi Bullboski,

You could try to see if it's a software error by booting your computer up via cd or disk. In order to do this you need to press and hold cd when your computer is booting up and a restore disk in the drive.

Hardware wise you could remove all screws from your macbook and carefully lift the top keyboard & mouse panel. Check to see if the ribbon cable is fitted on fully as this could be the problem.

Derek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Hi Bullboski,

You could try to see if it's a software error by booting your computer up via cd or disk. In order to do this you need to press and hold cd when your computer is booting up and a restore disk in the drive.

Hardware wise you could remove all screws from your macbook and carefully lift the top keyboard & mouse panel. Check to see if the ribbon cable is fitted on fully as this could be the problem.

Derek.

Beware - doing that will void the warranty. Also, I would have thought that if it were the ribbon that is the problem, none of the keys would be working, rather than just the function ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.