What are the 1st and 2nd gen iPhone hardware differences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPhone 3G...specs in signature
Is the only difference between the 1st gen and 2nd gen iPhones the GPS? Other than the changes in case, of course. I'm talking "internal hardware" differences. When Apple claims X times faster, they're just referring to the 3G network, right? The processor and memory are the same?

I'm just debating on getting rid of my 1st gen for a 2nd gen. I'm a "new" gadget freak- always the latest and greatest. I know I'll get the 2.0 update and that I'll be 99% similar to the 3G but I just wanted to make sure the only differences besides the looks (case) is the GPS function. I'm undecided.

Thanks for the help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
GPS isn't all that's different. I mean, one change is in the name: 3G. 3G is faster than EDGE, and you can be on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. App Store, more features integrated, different looks (plastic back, black or white) and lots of others. Watch the guided tour, you'll learn a lot more.

And anyways, what really needs to be changed in phone hardware?

Basically, it's just a new phone with 3G and the 2.0 update. Nothing hardware wise. (at least i dont think)

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
On the big point of view, no.
No big differences except for the back case and the 3G internet access.
Though the new iphone will also have the option to connect any kinds of earphones you want but if that's no big deal for you, you shouldn't care.
Also I think the battery time was extended and they upgraded the camera from 1.3mp to 2.0mp.

The GPS is the thing that interest me the most though ^^.

OP
Getwild2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well we'll get 3G with the 2.0 update, wont we?

So it looks like GPS, extended battery and 2.0MP camera? That's not enough to make me change right away. I mean I'll probably do it eventually. I want a 16GB since I foolishly bought an 8GB. Sounds like no reason to rush it. Just take the update, 3G, all the extras and enjoy for a while.

Now I dont know for sure but in looking at the pictures, I like the looks of the 1st Gen case better. I really like the metalized rear and the sliver finish.

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Well we'll get 3G with the 2.0 update, wont we?

So it looks like GPS, extended battery and 2.0MP camera? That's not enough to make me change right away. I mean I'll probably do it eventually. I want a 16GB since I foolishly bought an 8GB. Sounds like no reason to rush it. Just take the update, 3G, all the extras and enjoy for a while.

Now I dont know for sure but in looking at the pictures, I like the looks of the 1st Gen case better. I really like the metalized rear and the sliver finish.

Keep the money in your pants for now ^^.
Wait for a while, I'm sure you'll find better use for $200.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, you will not get 3G with the 2.0 update on the older iPhone. The 3G hardware is not in the older phone.

OP
Getwild2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you will not get 3G with the 2.0 update on the older iPhone. The 3G hardware is not in the older phone.
Okaaaay so that makes sense.

I just checked eBay and there are a million 1st gen iPhones on there, used 8GB ones going for $300-400. Why wouldn't someone just wait till the 11th and get a 16GB for the same price with all the new options? I may wait until after the release to see what people are saying, and to go look at one in person. Then if I like it I'll eBay my 1st gen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
Okaaaay so that makes sense.

I just checked eBay and there are a million 1st gen iPhones on there, used 8GB ones going for $300-400. Why wouldn't someone just wait till the 11th and get a 16GB for the same price with all the new options? I may wait until after the release to see what people are saying, and to go look at one in person. Then if I like it I'll eBay my 1st gen.

Because the new iPhones come with a 2 year plan. The ones on Ebay can be unlocked and used on an existing contract.

With the new iPhone you're getting 3g, a flush headphone jack, and a plastic back. To be honest the hardware shouldn't make a big difference unless you're you really need faster internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Are they selling for $300-400, or are they just listed for that price? That's the big difference. I see tons of overpriced junk on Ebay that never actually sells. Last time I saw a bunch of overpriced handsets on Ebay was about a year ago when people waited in line forever to get the first iPhone and sell it for thousands, only to find out that stores never really ran out. :p

The best story ever from that was a lady who brought thousands in cash to an AT&T store, bought some kid's spot in line for $800 and planned to buy out the store's stock of iPhones. Not only was she not allowed to buy out the stock due to the limit, but the boy went to the back of the line and was still able to get an iPhone that day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
LOL, yeah dude that was funny as crap!

And for the record, I can't wait to ditch my Windows Mobile device (BlackJack) and get this new bad-boy next Friday!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.