Hardware virtualization

Reaction score
I bought intel macbook few months ago. So far I'm enjoying it. The tough part is my job requires using visual studio and at the same time I'm studying x86 port of MicroC/OS-II which requires borland C++ and 32 bit windows for compilation. Being a student I don't have luxary of carrying 2 notebooks and mac is all what I have. Intel basd mac is based on x86 architecture and capable of running windows, but I don't want to install windows on hard disk. One solution is virtualization. But what I want to know is it same as installing Xp using bootcamp and installing XP on parallels desktop. Now I know bootcamp runs XP natively where as parallels uses hardware virtualization. Just wanted to know is virtualization going to restrict me in some way like using some software like visual studio or doing some hardware programming or anything else.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Some applications don't handle the virtual graphics driver. I can't speak of the programs to which you enquire, but I have had some real time video issues running virtually that work fine in bootcamp.

Both Parallels and VMware Fusion support running the bootcamp partition as a virtual machine. Kind of like the best of both worlds. If you need native Windows you have it, and if you just need a quick VM session you have that too.

I prefer VMware myself.

Reaction score
I use VMware fusion and have an instance of Windows 2008 server on it (well XP, 2003 server also). Runs perfectly, I have never encountered an issue within the Windows OS on it. It's just like having two separate machines.

4 words I recommend: Max out your RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.