My cat just broke the display on my iMac, how to hook up separate monitor?

Reaction score
well my cat got behind my computer and knocked it face first onto a metal frog, thus shattering the LCD display.

i searched but didn't find the info i needed..

how can i hook up a separate monitor that will act as the "main" display for my imac? mine is an intel core duo.. one of the first that came out.

will i be able to do this without being able to see anything on my original display?

or what are my other options besides just junking this computer? it works fine still i just can't see anything besides a tiny strip at the top. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Do you have a DVI or RGB connection on it? I really dunno about this unless you could find a replacement for what parts were broke on Ebay...

My first step would be to kill that cat... But that's just me...

OP
B
Reaction score
i think it has a DVI connection?? i have no idea

yea i want to kill the cat but that's not an option ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
The machine should have a Mini DVI connector on the back side of the enclosure, all you need is to get an adapter from your local Apple store (or Apple authorized dealer) to go from Mini DVI to standard DVI (if your going to use a larger LCD) or Mini DVI to VGA adapter for smallr LCDs, it should work and display a complete duplicate image of what the machine is sending to the built in display. Remember, you require the adapter, there's two available, your local store should be able to assist you in selecting the correct adapter.

OP
B
Reaction score
THANK YOU! this was exactly what i needed to know..
are there any specific "specs" i should look for in my new monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Just get one that pleases your eyes, faster response time counts, also a nice contrast ratio is important, but your eyes are the final decision maker when it comes to a monitor. Cheers !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.