only turns on when plugged in, batter doesnt charge

Reaction score
My wife's macbook started having a problem out of the blue. The battery will not charge, and the macbook will only run if it is plugged into the wall. It was bought within the past two years, so it has the magnetic charging port, and the led on the charger just shows green. If it is unplugged the computer immediately turns off. If I take the battery out and put it back in, it will show the orange "charging" light as long as I am firmly pressing the battery in by hand. The moment I lock the battery in and take my hand off, it turns green. I'm not sure if it is actually charging when it shows the orange light or not, because I haven't taken the time to sit there and hold it in place to charge. Any idea what the problem is? I suspect maybe the battery is just shot, but I don't want to throw down the money unless I know it's the problem.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
definitely sound like a dead battery

what model macbook is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you go to Apple> About This Mac> More Info...> Power and see what the full charge capacity is. If it's nowt, it's a gonner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i read that so much (battery problems), i am scared to buy a MBP now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
i read that so much (battery problems), i am scared to buy a MBP now...

Well, you'd better avoid all notebooks then - batteries don't last forever.

OP
E
Reaction score
im not sure the model, i will have to check. she bought it about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. i will check the full charge capacity. thanks for the help, i'll get back this evening with what i find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.