Screen looks white-washed after screen saver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
On my MBP, sometimes after it has been sitting open for a while or after the screen-saver has been running for a while, I get a white-washed looking screen upon returning to normal activity. All the colors just looks drained and pale, the only way I can get it to go away is to close the screen, wait a few seconds, and then re-open it. Any thoughts? Oh, it's only ~3 1/2 months old.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
---UPDATE---

Now, after a while of the screensaver being on or just opening after being closed but not shut down, I get these black spots on the bottom of my screen. They go all the way across and look like mini-spotlights shooting up from the bottom, but produce dark spots. They go away after rebooting.

... I'm beginning to think I may have to put my AppleCare Protection Plan to use. My MBP is only ~4 months old!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Sounds like you may have a defective LCD or video card. I would definitely take it to Apple and have it looked at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
You know, the same thing happens to me and two buddies at work who also use MBP's. It only seems to happen on the 15" model with the newer "eco-friendly" screens, too. At least-- as near as we can tell. Of course, when I tried to replicate the problem for an Apple tech, I couldn't, and just ended up embarrassing myself.

I found the best fix is usually to just kick the screen saver back on for a few seconds, then off again. I have it set to a hot corner to make it easy. Works every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Sometimes when my screensaver turns off, everything on the screen has a 'blueish' tint to it...

Like fyreous said, all I have to do is turn the screensaver on and off to fix it...

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Yes, while that may "fix" the look it still doesn't seem right to me. If I have a defective screen I would like to have it fixed to avoid further problems down the road.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.