Adium + icq

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I can't connect to icq with Adium anymore, it always tells me I need newer software, but I have the newest Adium version (1.2.5). I have no idea what's going on.

Does anyone have the same problem, too? Or does anyone have any clue of what's going on? :(

This is the message I'm getting:

The client version you are using is too old. Please upgrade at http://pidgin.im/

:\

TIA!

ETA: Maybe I should add that I've uninstalled Adium, downloaded it again, and re-installed. No change.
I can log in to ICQ using other applications, but I'm used to Adium and I'd like to continue using it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is strange. I am ICQ right now and keep it up basically 24/7 as I do have a few friends there. I use Adium for ICQ and have never had any issues including right now as I type this.

Reaction score
I just got exactly the same error this afternoon... from one minute to another, adium decided to not sign in to ICQ anymore... I'm using OSX Leopard. 10.5.3 I upgraded to 10.5.4 still no change... reinstalling it - no change, removing every trace of adium (config files etc) and reinstalling it: no change.
I heard from a friend that he does not have the problem with Mac OSX Tiger. Hopefully it will be fixed soon :)

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting.
I have Leopard 10.5.3, but I installed the update almost as soon as it came out, so I don't think it's connected in my case.
I haven't changed anything at all, and I just started getting that error this afternoon.
(I'm now using Proteus, and it seems pretty ok, so I'm not too bothered. But it's so weird.)

Reaction score
Adium 1.2.5 running on OS X 10.4.11 here, I have been getting the "The client version you are using is too old." message for a couple hours now; also, for some reason, www.adiumx.com seems to be down or otherwise loads really slowly for me.

Reaction score
pidgin.im is down also... I got through to adiumx.com 3 hours ago but my version is the newest they have to offer: 1.2.5

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adium 1.2.5 running on OS X 10.4.11 here, I have been getting the "The client version you are using is too old." message for a couple hours now; also, for some reason, www.adiumx.com seems to be down or otherwise loads really slowly for me.

Same for me. It's not loading.

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Mrk777!
But why can some people still use Adium and others not?

Reaction score
Hmm...I suppose the latest authentication requirements didn't affect those who were already signed on before AOL deployed the update to their servers (and didn't sign off afterwards).

That, or maybe not every authentication server has been upgraded to the new requirements yet.

Reaction score
Mrk777 is right I think... This happened to me when I signed in again... My friends Mac is running since the early morning and he has not signed off... that's why he can still use ICQ

Reaction score
I have the same issue. It was working for me at home but at work I get the following error...

Adium___Error-20080701-153133.jpg

Reaction score
I am running 10.4.11 and I am also getting the same error. I have some fellow coworkers who are not having any problems and they are running Leopard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting. Remember how I said mine was working fine? I was gone and got back and now mine has the same error. It's not the update yesterday as I had restarted many times since and it was fine. The Web site to that pigin is down for me as well.

Edit: I get this error trying to join the Adium Forums. The plot thickens.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm...I suppose the latest authentication requirements didn't affect those who were already signed on before AOL deployed the update to their servers (and didn't sign off afterwards).

That, or maybe not every authentication server has been upgraded to the new requirements yet.

I think Mrk777 got it.

I hope Adium comes up with a fix soon. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That could very well be what happened. I just find it interesting that the pigin sight, almost every link on Adium's page are down.

I just installed the Mac ICQ client and got this message.

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
I get this error trying to join the Adium Forums. The plot thickens.

Makes sense, unfortunately, I bet both the adium and pidgin websites are getting hammered by people waiting for a working release.

What strikes me as odd is that, according to several comments in the blog page, older versions of Adium up to 1.1.2 are able to sign on just fine. I wonder if those use a different set of libraries in place of libpurple :Confused:

The good news is, a patched release of Pidgin is already doing the rounds so a fix for Adium might not be far away.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the heads up on that. The Pidgin site has not worked here since early this morning for me. If you hear any more news please let us know.

Edit, A heads up, for now if you really need ICQ, I went back to Adium 1.1.2 and ICQ works fine. They already have a patched Pidgin. Adium has a log somewhere I saw that says they have a 1.2.6 with the ICQ Pigin issue fixed. So I guess it will be out soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.