Advantages of MacBook over MacBook Pro

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
erm.. they're cheaper?

edit: then again, i guess that's an advantage to buying one, not necessarily owning one.

i'm out of ideas.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Lower cost, Smaller footprint, different keyboard (Some people really love the keyboard on the Macbook a lot more than the MBP's).

Otherwise can't think of much else.

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Actually the differences are a lot more than that, but it basically depends on your uses.

The macbook is a lot more cheap, but also is much more compact the a MBP, meaning if you traveling with your laptop, the macbook is much more efficient.

But otherwise the macbook screen is much smaller than the MBP's and is less comfortable when it comes to creative production (such as graphics, music production, etc...).

By performance, the macbook will fit anything you want unless it's some heavy weight stuff like pro music editing or some serious graphic design (the only real difference is the processors!!).

For games the macbook can't compete with the MBP only cause of the video card.

So if you like the affordability, mobility and performance for basic stuff and up, go for the macbook (I work with a 2.16Ghz 3GB-RAM macbook and it runs Photoshop, dreamweaver, World of Warcraft, and everything perfectly!).

If you want better performance, games and willing to pay $500+ more, just go for the MBP.

OP
O
Reaction score
well, I think the Macbook is a more attractive looking laptop than the Macbook Pro

And supposedly the Macbook Pros get hotter faster and overheat more because of the aluminum design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not sure if they overheat due to the aluminum (which should shed heat better than plastic actually) but because of the aluminum housing you sure feel it more on your lap ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
dent proof.

smaller.

some have said that the plastic might allow the wireless networking to work better/faster than in the mbp, but afaik that's just anecdotal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How does the MBP matte screen compare with the MB screen?

The Mac Book Pro and Mac Book Air use LED screens. They are much brighter than the LCD's used on the Mac Books. I am not just saying this because I read it somewhere either. I went to Frys and compared them side by side. AMAZING difference. That is something I forgot to post earlier.

Much brighter and better viewing angle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I just got my Macbook Pro, I love it, I work everyday with the Macbooks and like those too. Basically the Pros of a MBP over a MB are,

Video Card
Higher Powered Processor Configurations
LED Backlit Screen's
Larger Screen sizes, 15.4" or 17"
Keyboard (some may like the MB keyboard better, but I love the MBP's traditional keyboard it feels great)
Backlit KB
Speakers are a little beefier than MB's
Aluminum (personal preference)

The pros of the MB over the MBP are,

Portability (Big one)
Keyboard (personal preference)
Significant Price difference (another big one for most!)
Magnetic Screen "latch" (way better than those little metal latches)

Let me know if I missed anything, but I love the Macbooks and I love my new Macbook Pro!!!

OP
O
Reaction score
OK, another question

My brother uses a Sharp LD23SH1U LCD-TV as his monitor, and its absolutely stunning (extremely bright)... Is the Macbook Pro Matte screen as bright as that of this Sharp monitor?

EDIT: The Sharp monitor, from amazon, has "500 cd/m2 Brightness", w/e that means

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
dent proof.

smaller.

some have said that the plastic might allow the wireless networking to work better/faster than in the mbp, but afaik that's just anecdotal.
I get a transmit rate of 130 through a brick wall though with my MBP. Can't imagine the aluminum is hurting it that much ;)

Reaction score
macbook vs macbook pro

I agree with eric, most communications devices in the world would use a bit of plastic to assist better tx, rx signals. Unless you're facing away from the router the lcd and the plastics part of the screen will enable you to have a better connection. I guess it's only affected a little when you're 10 - 20meters away from the router.

And I always thing the aluminium is trying to let the heat out, unless you have an external heat sink attached to the base of the unit, whatever surface its on is a heat sink.

Derek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xeon Quad core - 3Macbooks - g4 - g5 -2ipods
never seen an over heated macbook

Technically they don't 'overheat' they just get really hot... ;)

One thing is for sure, I have never seen a macbook damaged from heat or "overheated" but I have a few friends with heat related damages on their pro laptops.
The new macbook is great, and performs well with everything the pro laptops do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
One thing is for sure, I have never seen a macbook damaged from heat or "overheated" but I have a few friends with heat related damages on their pro laptops.
The new macbook is great, and performs well with everything the pro laptops do.
What happend to your friends MBP's from heat?

Reaction score
This may not be considered an advantage but I would be interested in other opinions on this. I own a Aluminum G4 Powerbook which I belive has the same aluminum cover as the MBP. During the winter time there is a lot of static electricity in the air. This actually blew out my sound card as a result of an electrical spark that occurred when I touched the aluminum cover. Now, I have to make sure I ground myself before touching the aluminum case. If not I get zapped with a static spark. Since the Macbook is not metal I assume that toughing the case will not be an issue anymore. Anyone else have or had this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.