Advantages of MacBook over MacBook Pro

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
... considering there are imminent updates...

There are no imminent updates. It's all rumor and speculation until you hear it from Apple. Buy the machine you need, when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs regardless of whether an updated model is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
There are no imminent updates. It's all rumor and speculation until you hear it from Apple. Buy the machine you need, when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs regardless of whether an updated model is released.

Come on cwa, now you know that as soon as a newer model is released that the older model immediately becomes obsolete and can no longer be used. Jeez I thought you knew better!;D

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, the dedicated video card does not make any (significant) difference in Photoshop and Final Cut as their main resource is the CPU.

My local Mac dealer told me that the Macbook won't run Final Cut Pro at all because of the lack of dedicated video card, and I would have to settle for Final Cut Express. Is this true? And are there other programs that will run on a MBP but not on an MB? I don't mind if programs run slower on the MB than on the MBP, but I'd prefer not to lose access to these programs altogether if I opt for the MB over the MBP.

Reaction score
i'm not really sure what all the discussion about brighter screens is. you can dim them or make them brighter (f1 and f2 on my macbook). i dont really see how thats such a big deal mine as bright as it can go hurts my eyes after a few minutes, i keep it like 3 blocks down, much more comfortable. compared at best buy or apple store theyre about the same as 'brightness' goes. matte of the mbp displays truer colors for graphic design, whereas the glossy screen makes colors more vivid for movies, photos, browsing.

and ive watched 2 hour movies with my macbook on my lap, yes it does get warm but by no means uncomfortable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Hdd

I've heard some people say that 7200rpm uses more battery power, but I don't know if it would be noticible. Have you compared the WD to a 5400rpm equivalent for power usage?

yes it is stated on the westerndigital site

Low power consumption - With technologies like IntelliSeek™, which calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption and SecurePark™, which reduces power by parking the heads during low power idle mode, this drive delivers 5400 RPM-equivalent power consumption in a 7200 RPM drive.

WD is the TRUTH...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
Most major computer manufacturers have stopped using the term "laptop" to refer to portable computers. The reason for this is that most of them are not designed to be comfortably used on that kind of a surface.

..hehe also cause they make us guys go sterile!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
Less expensive, can run advanced applications at ease, gloss screen (i like it better).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
less expensive... more convenient to carry and use, and something not mentioned yet (though alluded to)

EASE OF SWAPPING THE HARD DRIVE...

IN retrospect, I wish I had gotten a firewire external enclosure, gotten the standard drive, and immediately swapped to Larger more durable drive (yes,I originally had one of the 120Gb seagates).

Memory And hard drive prices have fallen so much, and it is so easy to swap them out (5 minutes? 10 the first time?) that there is no reason to buy larger drives and memory at apple prices.

Memory is $45 for 2gb $109 for 4gb, and anyone can change it out,
WD Scorpion Black 320 GB 7200 for 179, 250GB for 139, 160GB for 109 again easy to change out, and no real disassembly (other than swapping the cradle/mount over with a t-8 or a jewelers flatbladed screwdriver).

It was that upgradeability that decided me on getting the white MB (for now) over the MBP (or the black). I'll pick up an MBP 15" later for photo work, as the screen on the MB is not as great for that type of work and the backlighting does dim with age unlike the LED.
For now though, I just use the Mini DVI to DVIadapter ($19) adn a DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to my HDTV...
Cost a lot less than and apple display or an MBP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
MacBook is great but I love my MacBook Pro more. hehehehehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
I love my macbook more compared to a macbook pro. Mine's easy to carry around. Can do everything I want on a computer, and best of all. It stands out!

JMC

Reaction score
One trick you can do with the LCD of the Macbook that the LED screen of the MBP might no be able to do (?), is:

When you're up in the hills or something for the day, you can turn your screen brightness down to zero, and if you shine sunlight on the screen you can still read it "fairly well". This gives a massive increase on battery time, perhaps 50% extra. The screen looks green and other colours are lost, and you should keep the sun off the base so the fan doesn't turn on, but it is a way to get a 9-hour battery life from a brand new MB if all you want to do is type or read :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
One trick you can do with the LCD of the Macbook that the LED screen of the MBP might no be able to do (?), is:

When you're up in the hills or something for the day, you can turn your screen brightness down to zero, and if you shine sunlight on the screen you can still read it "fairly well". This gives a massive increase on battery time, perhaps 50% extra. The screen looks green and other colours are lost, and you should keep the sun off the base so the fan doesn't turn on, but it is a way to get a 9-hour battery life from a brand new MB if all you want to do is type or read :)

cant you do that inside as well if you just set the comp under a lamp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.