Option A or B ???

Reaction score
First off Hi Everyone ( 1st Post )

I'm curently converting over to a macbook from my sony vaio laptop P.C and was wondering... If I was only going to use the macbook as a internet browsing, movie watching and email ( general use I.E not work orientated just for play ) would I need macbook A or B

Mackbook A: ( £1000 )
2.4GHz
4GB Ram
250GB HDD

Mackbook B: ( £790 )
2.1GHz
2GB Ram
160GB HDD

I'm concirned that I will buy the more expencive model and never use the power it has... Or I'm worried that the other will not have enough power. Any advice please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well MacBook B would more than suffice for your needs - however depending on how long you want a laptop to last, i.e. 1 - 2 years or 3 - 5 years, you might want to go hybrid and get one with a 250GB drive but 2GB of RAM.

Also, could could get B and upgrade the RAM to 4GB and the HDD to 250GB or higher in 12 months for probably less than half the difference between the 2 prices now. It's never worth getting a Mac with more RAM installed from the factory, as Apple charge a premium for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 10.5.4, 2GB RAM, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'd go for B if thats the only thing your going to use it for. What you could always do is if you feel the speed isn't fast enough or you need more space, just install new RAM and a new HD. You won't be able to upgrade the processor, but the good news is that its really simple to do the other two.

Reaction score
the main difference isn't in the processor; you won't notice a difference between 2.1 and 2.4. And the RAM and hard drive you can upgrade yourself very easily.

The difference is in the optical drive; the 2.4 has a DVD burning drive while the 2.1 only has CD-burning. I think the 2.4 is worth it just for the DVD burner. You might not use it very often, but when you need it you will be glad you have it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

Thinking of option C ( £830 )

Option C:

2.4GHz
2GB Ram
160GB HDD

This way I get the DVD burner and the 2.4GHz and I can always upgrade the RAM and HDD later if need be. So I think option C is the way forward.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I see you are in the UK

Have you tried the refurb models on the apple store?

They are as good as new, you get the full warranty and you can end up saving a load

Everybody here will back me up on the quality of the refurb models

OP
J
Reaction score
I have had a look but there are only Macbook Pro's I can't seem to find any Macbooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.