• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Document format - movie clips

Reaction score
I have a DV mini camcorder, a Firewire cable, an iMac with iMovie. Using this equipment I am able to shoot film then import it to my iMac and subsequently edit it. As you would expect.

However I have a requirement to pass the video clips to someone who wants to do a separate edit but on a PC. The imported clips are in 'iMovie document' format and therefore unrecognisable by the PC. How can these clips be transformed into an appropriate format?

(There is no Firewire input on the PC so I am envisaging loading the clips from a DVD to the PC - they just need to be in the right fomat)

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I think you have the option of exporting the clips to DV stream, which should be usable on PC software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
When you post a question, please post the version of the software you are using.

iMovie HD creates .DV files as I recall, so those likely need to be converted to the equivalent AVI file.

iMovie 08 places the files into an event folder. I'm assuming a regular mini DV format will be imported as a .DV file also. For HD, iM08 converts the content to a .MOV file in the Apple Intermediate Codec format.

The location of the iM08 events is in your home folder in "Movies/iMovie Events/<eventname>". Ignore the subfolders within them and copy the content to a DVD.

I would try this on a small scale first so you can learn what conversion techniques you may have to use. Also, a single video file maybe bigger than what can fit onto one DVD, so you have an issue there. I think Toast can help there by splitting the file across multiple DVDs.

As for the PC. You need know what formats can be handled in the software on that box. Don't expect an answer here as this is a Mac site. Sure, you might get lucky.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.