Fans working while Mac is asleep...

V

viz

Supposedly asleep that is...

No programs running, Mac goes to sleep by itself but all night long the fans run up for a few seconds, then go quiet. Force sleep (option apple eject), still does it. Watch activity monitor, goes up half way while the fans are running...

Would not be so bad except that I have above average hearing and the fans have a high frequency whine to them and wakes me up...

Any ideas?

/viz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
System Preferences >> Energy >> Options >> Performance : Automatic

i had mine set to Highest and it did the same thing. doesnt seem to do it on Automatic

OP
R

redpinto

viz said:
Supposedly asleep that is...

No programs running, Mac goes to sleep by itself but all night long the fans run up for a few seconds, then go quiet. Force sleep (option apple eject), still does it. Watch activity monitor, goes up half way while the fans are running...

Would not be so bad except that I have above average hearing and the fans have a high frequency whine to them and wakes me up...

Any ideas?

/viz

I've got a G5 station and its doing something like that. Its on sleep mode at the office then in the morning its fan is roaring.

OP
S

sivp

wierd.. never herd of it.. i have a pretty powerful beast and mine doesnt do that... yet lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
maybe instead of putting it to sleep, just have the display turn off. i dont put mine to sleep often, and it never gets loud when idle

OP
Z

zeppster

You could always turn it off.

note: I'm gonna take a lot of crap about that statement ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.