Will 512 MB do the trick?

M

McGuillicuddy

I'm waiting for my iBook to show up but in the meantime I'd like to order some RAM to have it here by the time the computer arrives. Thing is, the prices of SO-DIMMs are hardly linear, with 256 MB going for around £30, 512 MB for £80, and 1GB going for £200. So, my current plan is to just get an extra 256 MB for now (for a total of 512 MB) and pick up a 1 GB DIMM down the road when the price comes down a bit (or my income goes up!).

My question for you experts; is 512 going to cut it for most regular applications (surfing, music, word processing/spreadsheet, a couple games like WC3 or Call of Duty) or is the machine still going to be doing an awful lot of accessing of the painfully slow 4200 rpm hard-drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not really sure, but since it only has the 1 upgrade slot, I decided to future-proof mine a bit more by going the whole 512 (yards) and getting the 512MB stick...

I know me, I'd always be wondering if I would have noticed a difference with the little bit extra.

On the other hand, I must confess that I haven't really noticed a huuuge difference compared with just 256 stock ram for everyday tasks.

The only noticeable difference was when editing videos, using garageband, and playing certain games.

OP
C

code777

512 total will be enough, i have 512 an my friend (just got his) 768. We compared them for surfin and no difference. Even when watching online news, videos, streaming music, etc... none. Garageband his opened a bit faster (no spinning beach ball) while mine took a little longer to start. Gaming I can't comment on because I do not use my book for games and neither does my friend. Appleworks starts fine on both books and no difference could be seen.

Of course if you have the money go for the gold, get a 512 stick for a total of 768 but if you are on a budget i am sure having a total of 512 will suit you fine. besides, later in a year or so if you think the book is slow and your applications change, you can always take out the 256 and replace it with whatever you want.

for what you said, total of 512 will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Seems like 512 would be low for the games, but I'm not a gamer. Time is money, so do the math.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Also…
What ever you do, buy good ram from a company that has a lifetime guarantee and will let you exchange it. (I sure wouldn't buy ram from ebay)

OP
C

code777

NOOOOO not ebay! horror stories galore!

I actually got ripped because i bought my 256 from apple. i know i know. my buddy bought his 512 stick online for a good price, works like a charm although when he first installed it the iBook didn't work and he had to re-seat the RAM and then it started up.

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

Well there are a couple places that sell alot on ebay but also have their own websites that you can buy through (macramdirect.com, omnitechnologies.biz). These both offer lifetime warranties according to their websites. Although who knows how trustworthy they are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.