Port 3689 being blocked by Firewall? HUH???????

H

Horatio Street

:eek:

I have OS X2.8 and today ran an automatic iTunes software update from Apple.

After it installed, I got a message saying that my "system is running firewall which is blocking port 3689 and should change the firewall to allow communication on port 3689".

Well this is all mush to me! If I have a firewall it came with the iBook because I have not installed a firewall. I've only installed Norton anti-virus for Mac.

So when I try to find this "firewall", I get nothing in response. Nor when I try to find a "port 3689". I admit I am still wearing diapers when it comes to the Mac, but this is driving me crazy.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can undo whatever it is? Thanks y'all!

:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Your mac DOES come with a built-in firewall, it's hidden in system prefs:

System-preferences->Sharing->Firewall

The port that's referred to is used by iTunes if you have enabled 'share my iTunes library'- which lets other users on your network see & play your music.

If you don't use this feature, disable it in iTunes preferences and the message should stop appearing.

If you do use it, just go to the sharing preference pane and check 'iTunes music sharing'.

Btw, I wouldn't bother with Norton anti-virus, there are no known viruses for OSX, so why waste your resources...

OP
H

Horatio Street

Aptmunich said:
Your mac DOES come with a built-in firewall, it's hidden in system prefs:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.