• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting home made DVD to Quicktime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Let's say you wanted to put one of your old imovies on YouTube but you no longer had the project file, in fact the only format the movie existed in was on a DVD you burned it to back when it was made.

Is it possible to make a Quicktime file from the DVD?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
entirely possible - but against forum rules to discuss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Discussing the ripping of a DVD of your own content isn't against forum rules.

Try and have a look around Handbrake, iSquint, Visual Hub and ffmpegx for a start.

A few Googles and searches on this forum will get you started.

DaZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod
It sounds like all you would have to do is rip the DVD utilizing something like mac the ripper and convert the video with a video convert. I recommend iskysoft video converter for mac.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Cheers, I will try to download some of those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You all need to go read the forum rules again and compare that to this post. The form rule clearly states that this case can be discussed openly.

Handbrake is the likely tool to use for the purpose mentioned.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with XStep on both points.

The forum rules state no ripping, copying, ETC of copy protected DVD's because you have to Circumvent the copy protection which is against the law and thus against the forum rules. If it's your own DVD you made from your own content, that is not against the law or rules here at Mac Forums. There is no copy protection to break if it's your own creation.

Handbrake for me it the best tool for what you want to accomplish. Does it right from the DVD in one step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.
i have used handbrake and it always takes like 5 or 6 hours to rip a DVD, am I doing something wrong? I'm talking about unprotected DVDs not copyrighted. usually they are like 2 hours long and they take 5 or 6 hours to rip.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i have used handbrake and it always takes like 5 or 6 hours to rip a DVD, am I doing something wrong? I'm talking about unprotected DVDs not copyrighted. usually they are like 2 hours long and they take 5 or 6 hours to rip.

On a Mac Pro? My Intel 1.66 Ghz Mini takes maybe 50 minutes per typical DVD.

Since you say they are not copyrighted I will take your word for it, but that time sure sounds wrong then for any modern Mac. Even my old G4 does not take more than 2 hours or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.