First time Mac owner.. Instant Messaging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
Hi I'm new to mac and I was wondering for AIM does it always crash on your mac too? For me it crashes every time I try to view a profile by scrolling down and looking at conversations by scrolling up. Is it normal for AIM to crash on a mac? Or is it just that I'm unlucky and my mac sucks?

I know there's Adium and iChat but I just like the whole AIM experience feel. Yep, call me weird.

For MSN

Can I chat via microphone 'cause i read that MSN doesn't support this feature on a Mac but I read somewhere that the older versions of MSN does. Is it true?

And I tried aMSN but that always seems to crash on my mac too? So now I'm wondering why are these instant messaging programs always crashes on my brand new mac well it's been a couple of weeks now..

Can anyone help me. Thank you!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
AIM for OSX is a very old and unstable application. AOL has not upgraded it in ages. I know this is not what you want to hear, but give iChat a try for AIM usage or Adium for a multi chat client. There is no Audio or Video with Adium but it's coming soon I am told.

I was going to recommend aMSN, but since you are having issues with it, guess not! :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
yep im giving aduim a shot it's not that bad but i can't view offline buddies.. and for amsn is it usual for that to crash often. is it just my mac can i call apple to see what the issue is or is it normal with mac? i hope i didn't get a dysfunctional mac.

Thanks for your response =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
click on view, and deselect 'Hide Offline Contacts' :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
In regard to your question about MSN and video - it's not that an older version supported it, but that the corporate version supports it, not the 'regular' version.
Corporate version = msn used on ms IIS servers at companies, etc. (users log in to their company's network to for exchange, msn messenger, etc).

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
users using amsn please help

i have a macbook and im using amsn and it says Audio/Video requests are not supported on Mac OS X, only Webcam

i thought on amsn the audio is supported or is there no audio on macbook i'm confused can someone please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged threads for continuity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
AIM for OSX is awful. You are better off using iChat for full integration and compatibility. If you still want to feel as if you are using AIM, try Adium... I have not had any problems with it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
didn't aol recently redo aol for mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
I have been using Adium and I love it. Adium and Skype cover my needs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
thanks for all your wonderful responses!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.