MacBook to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well, my Pro has arrived, and I am beginning to transfer some things over from my MacBook. It am wondering though, Leopard doesn't seem to be running as fast or loading webpages as fast in firefox or safari. Also, the computer seems to be getting really hot, whether plugged in or running on battery, it is hot to the touch, which is not a problem with my 2 year old MacBook. I have already run delocalizer to free up 3 gigs, and I installed Final Cut Express HD, which took up roughly 14 gigs.

I really like the screen and the design, but I am concerned about the heat.

My MacBook is a Core Duo 2.0ghz with 2gigs of Ram.
My MacBook Pro is a Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz with 4 gigs of Ram.

I'd like some suggestions. Anyone else like Tiger better than Leopard? I know I need to give it more time, but it seems a little off.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The MacBook Pros will tend to run a little warmer due to the nature of the aluminum casing. The MBP also has a true GPU instead of the integrated graphics of the standard MacBook, so there's a fair amount of heat generated there as well.

You'll find that when you're doing less intensive tasks (like web surfing, email, etc) it will run fairly cool. I'd give it some time to break in and see how it is for you.

One more thing - make sure you get all of your software updates before you pass judgment.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Yes, what you are saying makes sense. I see that you have the same configuration as I do. I have been downloading 10.5.4 right now, but it's about 600 megs.

I do think the MBP is pretty attractive, and the screen is brilliant, and my MB looks a little dull sitting next to it.

Any other recommendations? I was looking on versiontracker.com, but didn't see anything that has really jumped at me.

Final Cut installed fairly easily.

What Mac were you using prior to your MBP Penryn?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, what you are saying makes sense. I see that you have the same configuration as I do. I have been downloading 10.5.4 right now, but it's about 600 megs.

I do think the MBP is pretty attractive, and the screen is brilliant, and my MB looks a little dull sitting next to it.

Any other recommendations? I was looking on versiontracker.com, but didn't see anything that has really jumped at me.

No, just let it break in a bit. I had some weird artifacts on my screen when I first booted it up, but after the first few hours, they went away and have never come back. Most manufacturers do what they call a "burn in" test, where they let the machine run for a few hours at the factory to ensure everything is OK. I get the feeling Apple doesn't do this, or doesn't do it for an extended period of time.

Final Cut installed fairly easily.

What Mac were you using prior to your MBP Penryn?

A MacBook Pro Yonah (Core Duo, first generation Intel machine). That machine ran much hotter than the Penryn one I have now.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^It sounds like we just went through the same upgrade. I am adjusting to the machine and am pretty happy, but my "b" key is definetly not responsive. I have to really tap it, and I find myself having to back up and insert the b. The only key I have noticed this with...not a big deal, but an annoyance, and I have to be intentional about hitting the B, and now I am looking for it to not pop up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.