logic boards. why are they so expensive if they break all the time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Regards the g3 ibooks, does anyone know of a cheap solution to fixing them ? Or I guess what would be the recommendations from you all ?

Your best bet would be to try to track down parts on eBay. The G3 machines are so old at this point that the cost of the parts will likely exceed the value of the machine.

Reaction score
The G3 iBooks were plagued by a graphics chip that came loose. There were recalls and endless problems. I wouldn't touch one at any price! However, if you have that graphics chip problem and you want to get up close and personal with it, then check this out:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/25/repair-your-ibooks-logic-board-with-a-candle/
If you google "logic board reflow solder" you'll see it isn't just Macs!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The G3 iBooks were plagued by a graphics chip that came loose. There were recalls and endless problems. I wouldn't touch one at any price! However, if you have that graphics chip problem and you want to get up close and personal with it, then check this out:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/25/repair-your-ibooks-logic-board-with-a-candle/
If you google "logic board reflow solder" you'll see it isn't just Macs!

Wow - great read. Those guys are crazy - but it looks like about 75% of them were successful - at least on the one forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
The Logic Board is just a posh name for the motherboard. The botherboard is kind of like the heart and circulation of the computer, as it links up all the other components. When Apple Genuises say 'the Logic Board' is fried, they mean any component on, or connected to the logic board is broken, and cannot be fixed, excluding the CPU/RAM and peripherals.

This is what a motherboard/logic board looks like

So there is a lot that can go wrong.

In addition, when replacing one of these, you have to remove almost every other component. It's very easy to damage the CPU, or connector when dismantling one of these, so it's pretty labour intensive.

All that hand waving doesn't answer the question (and is mostly wrong).

Why are they so expensive?

I can get an Intel brand motherboard, functionally equivalent to what is in the iMac for about $150-200. (Un)fortunately, Apple chooses fancy packaging which often requires custom shapes, so you can't just get an off the shelf ATX or mini-AT board to replace a burned out Apple unit.

If it were that hard to build and service a computer, there wouldn't be stores like Tiger Direct or Newegg that sell them on a component basis.

Look at Psystar to see what an Apple machine *could* cost.

Scott

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All that hand waving doesn't answer the question (and is mostly wrong).

What's wrong?

Why are they so expensive?

Because they're proprietary, non-standard motherboards. Any time you have a piece of gear that is proprietary to one vendor, it's more expensive. The same goes for any industry - ever need to get some part for your car that is specific to your model? You'll pay through the nose.

I can get an Intel brand motherboard, functionally equivalent to what is in the iMac for about $150-200. (Un)fortunately, Apple chooses fancy packaging which often requires custom shapes, so you can't just get an off the shelf ATX or mini-AT board to replace a burned out Apple unit.

Exactly.

If it were that hard to build and service a computer, there wouldn't be stores like Tiger Direct or Newegg that sell them on a component basis.

Look at Psystar to see what an Apple machine *could* cost.

Scott

Well, to be honest, Psystar isn't exactly using high end components either. For your $400, you get a $20 case and a generic, sweat-shop constructed power supply that will likely last the first 6 months or 40 hours of service, whichever comes first ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
just thought id give you guys an update on my fried logic board. basically 900$ to replace an outdated imac logic board was kinda redundant. so i used my student discount and bought a brand new imac 20" for 1500$ and got my free ipod touch and free wireless printer :).

im down for selling my old one for parts if any one needs them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xeon Quad core - 3Macbooks - g4 - g5 -2ipods
Where?

Motherboards cost £40 - £150.

Where do they cost that much? Any links or companies? Find me a G5 logic board for that much any where in the world please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xeon Quad core - 3Macbooks - g4 - g5 -2ipods
Proof of a problem...

just thought id give you guys an update on my fried logic board. basically 900$ to replace an outdated imac logic board was kinda redundant. so i used my student discount and bought a brand new imac 20" for 1500$ and got my free ipod touch and free wireless printer :).

im down for selling my old one for parts if any one needs them.

So how does Apple justify this guys 2006 imac? Now hes supposed to try and sell the parts to make some of his money back? I don't care how many people say their machines lasted 10 years. After spending 3-4 grand on a machine, I expect it to last more then the minimum warranty period.

This proves my point perfectly. Apple knows that if they make a machine that dies right after warranty we are all just going to buy a new one asap. Anyone seen the latest National Geographic and the story on ewaste? Apple is a gross contributer to this problem at this point, and this thread is proof. All the debating in the world about logic boards won't change the fact that we all buy a new machine every 2-3 years, not because we need or want to, but because our machines have died :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.