question about screws

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I was wiping my MB down yesterday and noticed that the two screws behind the macbook (next to the hinge) were a little loose. I grabbed a jeweler screwdriver and tightened it a little but noticed it didn't come to a complete stop like you would expect. I took a look at my fiance's macbook (white) and noticed the screws next to the hinge were a little loose as well.

Anyone else notice this on theirs, and do you leave them loose or tight? I notice that if you tighten them, it bowes out the plastic a little...

Thx guys!

JG

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's just the way the tabs that those screws drive into are made, with some wear, they can work their way out. It's quite common and I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Thx man.. are the screws next to the hinge supposed to be snug, but not tight?

I was looking at a black MB on display at Fry's and bookstore at my college, and noticed that the screws were also not tightened all the way down, but left some 'play' w/ the plastic when pressed down. So I'm guessing that's normal? Seems strange b/c I would think screws were meant to be tightened all the way down but it doesn't seem to be the case on the black MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Just doing a wild guess and assumption, but maybe they aren't tight because the of the heat from the fans. I wouldn't know anything about that, but would that even be a possibility? Maybe it gives the plastic room to expand.

Like I said, I wouldn't have any idea about it. Just wondering if that could be a reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.