• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I dislike AT&T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm on the phone with them right now. The third time this week. They cashed my check, a paper one, that I sent in twice. They're not giving it back.

They said that I'll have to fax in a copy of my statement because they processed the check electronically and they're accusing me of sending in two payments. They said resolution is expected July 9, 2008. That's unacceptable.

The problem is, I'm taking off early to go to my bank and dispute the check. That way, $150 will be returned to my checking and instead of being a month ahead in payments, I'll be two months behind and the retards at AT&T will probably want to stick me with late fees even though they're the screw ups.

Why worry about it if I'm caught up and a month ahead? Well next time I send them a check, I don't want them cashing it four or five times. :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is why I pay all this sort of stuff on-line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Who sends in paper checks anymore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
VA- You're alive! AT&T is not fun to deal with. I spent months trying to get Internet service turned on. I was getting bills but no service. I didn't pay the bills for that reason. They sent a collector after me. My credit score is ruined over their mess.
Never had a problem with my iPhone bill but it's done electronically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
They still make paper checks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What the heck are these "check" things you guys keep talking about?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OK, before the DHS puts you on a terrorist watch list, I changed your thread title.

Hope you don't mind :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Me with a lot of my bills. I do not want anyone taking anything out of my account. I will manage it. Had friends totally ruined due to bill pay a couple of times.

I do pay my cell bill though online but I handle it. No automatic payment.

I had my fun with AT&T once. They said I always paid my bills on time, but then went on to say I did not. I told them, it's either one of the other, I can pay and not pay. It can not be both at the same time. After 7 different AT&T people and a very soar throat on my part, I got someone who knew what they were doing and they fixed the issue. They then admitted it was their fault! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Me with a lot of my bills. I do not want anyone taking anything out of my account. I will manage it. Had friends totally ruined due to bill pay a couple of times.

Just use ePay - most banks allow this now; I've never had it go wrong - as soon as you get the bill, arrange to pay it so they get it one day before the deadline. Using it inline woth MS Money or Quicken (not the Mac version hopefully), and you'll be well on top of those bills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

I use paper checks for all our bills - I still like the control it seems to give me.

But AT&T is really tough on late fees, it makes them a lot of $$... I had them ding me like $2 one time and when I contested it they said "You're forgiven," then charged me late fees the next month when they didn't give me the $2 credit I was due...

Sometimes you just can't win :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I use paper checks for all our bills - I still like the control it seems to give me.

I don't understand how using a paper check gives you more control. Most of my bills I now pay directly from my checking account via the creditor's website. I save money on stamps and checks, I get instant confirmation of payment received (which I can save or print in case it's disputed later), and I'm not at the mercy of the postal service. I don't have anything on auto-pay either. It's the ultimate in control, and I have never had a problem with "errors" or lost payments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I do pay my cell bill though online but I handle it. No automatic payment.

I handle all of my bills manually, I don't do auto pay for anything except Netflix. I personally find paying online is much easier and far more secure than using paper checks. The only reason to use a check is if the company you're paying doesn't accept online payments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
My wife and I use an accountant to pay most of our bills. That way we don't spend too much of our money on frivolous stuff. AT&T Cable, now Comcast, is the worst with screwed up accounting. I had an invoice that stated they owed me $28 and some cents every month, ergo I never sent in a payment. After ten months of this they finally wised up and sent me a huge bill and threatened to cut off my service. I produced copies of all ten invoices saying they owed me instead of the other way around. They never admitted they had an error but did cut my service. I am now with a local provider who is much cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Never had a problems, with AT&T or it's cousin, Bellsouth. I have been dealing with them since 1983, and wrote checks up until a year ago. Just more convenient online, or I would still be doing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.