Dynex card reader issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, and "the senior" a Blueberry iMac g3
I had info from my HP laptop that I was able to get off before it died for the last time. I used the internal card reader in the HP for that.

I bought a Dynex card reader yesterday (model DX-CR501) and hooked it up to my MacBook, and the info on the xD card popped up. I was able to transfer the files to my Mac, but for some reason the folder I put items in is listed as "locked" and I cannot delete it. I tried unlocking it but the check box stays locked. It asks for my password, appears to delete them, but they stay put.

Is there any way to format the xD card using what is available on my Mac or something I can download? This is my usual digital camera card (which does not have internal memory) and the card is 100% full unless I can move the files.

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You should be able to use Disk Utility (in Applications> Utilities) to erase what's on the card and reformat. You'll lose any data on it though.

OP
Bailey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, and "the senior" a Blueberry iMac g3
This worked fine, thank you!

Reaction score
look for write protect on memory card

I had a similar problem with my new Dynex card reader- All downloads were fine but could not delete anything. Then I checked the card. The slide had been moved to LOCK (i.e., Write Protect). After I moved it back, I could delete just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.